TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS UNLEASH A 23-HIT ASSAULT TO BURY THE CARDINALS AT JEFF HEALEY PARK AND EARN THEIR SEVENTH EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Game Post composed with file from Dora Parks and Paul Ungerman
Beneath a Saran Wrap layer of warm and humid skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Mosquito Selects defeated the Royal York White 24-1 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select Loop action this evening at Jeff Healey Park.
In a lopsided affair, TP utilized a relentless twenty-three assault and took advantage of eleven Cardinals errors to cruise to a dominating victory.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- TP jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the top half of the first. After a leadoff double by Momo (18), Charlie (8) stroked a RBI single to bring him home with the opening run of the game.
- After advancing to third on a steal and an error, Charlie blazed homeward on a passed ball to score a run. After Cooper (3) drew a walk and made his way around the horn to third base courtesy of passed ball and steal, Milo (27) delivered a RBI liner to centre field to bring him homeward.
- With one out and a runner on third, William (33) stroked a RBI single to bring Milo home. After William stole his way to third, Rocco (99) delivered a RBI single to bring him home with the peameal bacon.
- In the bottom of the first, TP starter Charlie tallied a groundout, strikeout and fly out to keep Royal York off the scoring ledger.
- With the wind in their sails, TP added another six to their booty in the top of the second to widen their advantage to 11-0. After Momo garnered a leadoff walk and Charlie reached base on a dropped third strike, Cooper drew a walk to load the bases. A passed ball would allow Charlie and Cooper to move up a base and bring Momo home with a run.
- With two ducklings on the lake, Milo stroked a RBI single to advance Cooper to third and bring Charlie homeward. Subsequently, with one out and runners at third and second, William delivered a RBI single that moved Milo to third and delivered Cooper home to roost.
- Julian (20) followed with a RBI single that propelled William to third and allowed Milo to score. A Cardinals faux pas would allow Julian to shuffle over to second and bring William home with the Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Subsequently, with two outs and a capybara on second, Sean (13) stroked a clutch RBI single to plate Julian.
- With 1-2-3 efficiency, TP starter Charlie chalked up a fly out and a pair of strikeouts in the bottom of the second to keep the Cardinals grounded in their nest.
- TP exploded for seven in the top portion of the third to increase their lead to 18-0. After stroking a one out single, Momo sashayed his way around the horn courtesy of an error, passed ball, and another error to score a run.
- After Charlie and Cooper garnered back to back walks that put two mallards on the pond, a faux pas by the Royal York defence allowed Cooper to reach third and bring Charlie home with a run. Milo followed with a RBI single to bring Cooper home. After moseying over to third via a passed ball and error, Milo bolted home to score a run on a passed ball.
- After Dylan (10) reached base on a dropped third strike, William launched a RBI double to bring him home to crow. Subsequently, with a runner on third, Julian stroked a RBI single to bring William home with the Hostess Ho Ho’s. Following respective singles by Rocco and Arlo (15) that loaded the bases, Julian took advantage of a Cardinals error to charge home with a run.
- Toronto Playgrounds added six insurance runs in the top of the fourth to solidify their lead at 24-0. Following a leadoff double by Charlie, Cooper stroked a RBI single to bring him home.
- Subsequently, with one out and runners at third and second, a Royal York error allowed Milo (who reached base on a walk) to advance to third and bring Cooper homeward. William followed with a RBI double that brought Milo home to do the jitterbug.
- With one aboard, Julian delivered a RBI single that allowed William to hustle home with the Ferrero Rocher chocolates. After Rocco reached base on a hit by pitch that put two otters on the lake, Arlo connected for a two RBI single to bring Julian and Rocco home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- Refusing to quietly into the night, Royal York donned their rally caps in the bottom of the fourth in a quest to break the goose egg. With one out and a runner on third, Ryan hit into a 1-3 groundout that allowed Sam B. to come home with a run.
- Unfazed, TP reliever Dylan tallied a pair of fly outs and a strikeout in the fourth to bring the curtain down on the proceedings.
The TP Major Mosquito Selects (6-0) resume play on the EBA Mosquito Select circuit with a doubleheader on Saturday (July 6) afternoon versus the Royal York Red at 2 p.m.