TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS EDGE THE NORTH YORK ATHLETICS 10-9 AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS TO WIN THE TORONTO BASEBALL ASSOCIATION U16 VARSITY CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE AND EARN A TRIP TO THE OBA PROVINCIAL FINALS
Game Post composed with file from Shawn Edmondson. Tournament Photos courtesy of Bill Evans.
Beneath a warm ceiling of overcast summer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Varsity A’ Rep Team edged the North York Athletics 10-9 in a nail biting seven inning championship final tonight at Dominico Field at Christie Pits to win the 2019 Toronto Baseball Association (TBA) U16 Varsity Championship Game.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, TP jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. After a leadoff walk and stolen base by Alex (6), Jose (24) stroked a single that put two aboard. Noah (22) followed with a sacrifice fly to left field that allowed Alex to motor home with the opening run of the game. After Jose advanced to third on a passed ball, Quinn (13) and Cole (1) garnered back to back walks with one out to load the bases. A subsequent passed ball would allow Jose to score and a North York error allowed Quinn to come home with another run.
- With 1-2-3 flair, TP starter Harris (12) chalked up a two strikeouts and a fly out in the bottom of the first to keep the A’s off the scoring ledger.
- TP added another run in the top half of the second to widen their advantage to 4-0. Following a leadoff double by Justin (18), Hasan (5) stroked a one out RBI single to bring him home.
- North York answered back with a pair in the bottom of the third to slice the margin to 4-2. After Sam (42) reached base on a hit by pitch to begin the inning, Ben (33) hit a single that put two ducks on the pond. Ryan (24) followed with a groundout that allowed Sam to come home with the Athletics first run. With one out and a runner at third, Noah (7) hit a groundout to first to bring Ben home. Unfazed, TP starter Harris induced another groundout to subdue the A’s uprising.
- Not be outdone, Toronto Playgrounds replied with three in the top of the third to increase their lead to 7-2. After a leadoff single, Noah advanced to third base courtesy of an error and wild pitch. Quinn followed with a sacrifice hit to centre field to bring Noah home. Following a one out walk and stolen base by Cole, Harris delivered a clutch two out RBI single to left field to bring him home. With a runner on second base, Justin stroked a grace under pressure RBI single that allowed Harris to zoom home with another TP run.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, North York rallied with five in the bottom of the third to deadlock the proceedings 7-7. After Ethan (3) reached base on a hit by pitch to open the inning, Zack (25) drew a walk and Justin (4) delivered a bunt single to load the bases. Matthew (13) followed with a two RBI double that brought Ethan and Zack home. With two mallards on the lake, Sam stroked a RBI single that moved Matthew to third and delivered Justin home. A subsequent wild pitch allowed Sam to advance to third and bring Matthew home. Ben followed with a groundout that allowed Sam to come home with the A’s tying run.
- Nonplussed, TP struck back with a pair in the top of the fourth to take a 9-7 lead. After a leadoff walk by Hasan, Noah garnered a two out walk to put two aboard. Subsequently, with runners at third and second, Quinn delivered a grace under pressure two RBI single that allowed Hasan and Noah to blaze home with the go ahead runs.
- The pesky Athletics replied with a run in the bottom of the fourth to trim the shortfall to 9-8. With two outs and the bases loaded, Zack motored home from third base on a wild pitch to make it a one run game.
- After neither team conceded an inch in the fifth and sixth frames, TP tacked on an insurance run in the top of the seventh to increase their tally to 10-8. After reaching base on a hit by pitch with two outs, Cole advanced to third on a North York faux pas. Cole would subsequently come home on a wild pitch.
- Stubbornly refusing to accept their circumstance, North York clawed back with a run in the bottom of the seventh. After stroking a one out single, Sam advanced to third on a steal and groundout. With two outs, Noah would reach base on a TP error that also allowed Sam to come home and trim the gap to one. As Noah made a brazen bid to advance to third on the play, the TP defence rose to occasion and threw him out to bring the curtain down on their championship victory.
- TP reliever Ben (4) threw four solid innings to keep the potent North York batting order in check. Ben surrendered only two runs while striking out four Athletics to pick up the win.
- Toronto Playgrounds finished the 2019 TBA U16 Championship Tournament with an undefeated record.
The TP Baseball Committee wishes to congratulate TP Minor Varsity ‘A’ Rep Co-Head Coaches Tim Lawrence and Aidan McClory and Assistant Coach Bill Evans for their fortitude and patience in steering these talented Minor Varsity ‘A’ Reps to championship glory at the TBA U16 Varsity Championship playoff tournament.
The Committee also wishes to commend all the Minor Varsity ‘A’ Rep players, coaches and parents for representing the core values of the Toronto Playgrounds Baseball program with honour, dignity and professionalism both on and off the diamond at the tournament and throughout the 2019 season.
As the TBA 16U Varsity champions, the TP Minor Varsity ‘A’ Rep Team will be the City of Toronto representative at the Ontario Baseball Association (OBA) Provincial Finals in Kitchener during the Labour Day long weekend.
WAY TO GO, TP!