IN A BATTLE OF THE UNBEATEN, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE ATHLETICS IN AN EPIC TOOTH AND NAIL EXTRA INNINGS PLAYOFF SHOWDOWN AT RAVINA GARDENS
UPDATED on August 19, 2019
[EDITOR’S NOTE: After this game post was uploaded to the website on Sunday night, we were informed by the TP Major scorekeepers on Monday morning that an error was made in the scorekeeping information that was submitted to our editorial offices. As such, we have reedited this game post to reflect those changes. The TP Baseball Website takes immense pride in its editorial accuracy and we sincerely apologize for the mistake.]
Game Post composed with file from Dora Parks and Paul Ungerman
Under a blanket of humid summer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Mosquito Selects prevailed 8-6 over the Annette Black this morning at Ravina Gardens in a thrilling extra innings nine inning quarter-final playoff clash at the 2019 Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Championship Tournament.
Here is a brief recap:
- Annette staked itself to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. After a leadoff walk and stolen base by Julian (20), Kai (17) stroked a RBI single to bring him home with the opening run of the game.
- In the top of the third, TP answered back with a run to tie the proceeding 1-1. Following a leadoff single by Cooper (3), Julian (20) delivered a RBI triple that allowed Cooper to motor home with the tying run.
- The game remained in a tense deadlock until the top half of the fifth when TP exploded for five runs to take a 6-1 advantage. After hitting a leadoff single, Cooper advanced to second on a wild pitch. Momo (18) followed and reached base on an A’s error, that also allowed Cooper to dart home with the go ahead run. With one out and a runner on second, Julian delivered a two run inside the park home run shot to deep centre field. After Aron (14) stroked a single, Arlo (15) hit a RBI single to left to bring him home. With Arlo at third, William (33) delivered a groundout that allowed him to saunter home with a run.
- Refusing to surrender, the Black rallied with five in the bottom of the seventh to tie it up 6-6. Following a leadoff double by Thomas (24), Josh (42) stroked a RBI single to bring him home. After respective singles by Lochlan (19) and Julian (20) that loaded the bases, Benjamin (10) hit into a fielder’s choice that erased Julian at second and delivered Josh home with a run. Subsequently, with two outs, Eamon (7) hit a single that brought Lochlan home. Annette would add two more runs to deadlock the proceeding and force extra innings.
- With neither TP or Annette yielding an inch in the eighth frame, TP finally took the bull by the horns in second extra inning. After Aron got placed at second base in the top of the ninth, Arlo would reach base on an Annette error that also allowed Aron to score. Subsequently, with two outs, Arlo brazenly stole home to give TP another run and the victory.
- In a strong 4.2 inning effort, TP starter Milo (27) limited the potent Annette batting order to only one earned run while striking out eleven A’s.
- TP reliever Arlo pitched a workmanlike 2.1 innings where he allowed three earned runs while striking out four Annette batters.
- Momo threw 1.2 frames of scoreless relief to close things out for TP.
The TP Major Peewee Selects (4-0) will now proceed to a semi-final elimination playoff game battle versus the Annette Red later this afternoon at Ravina Gardens.
Additional updates to follow as they become available.
GO! TP! GO!