THE BEANTOWNERS PREVAIL OVER THE NAUTICAL M’s AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN THEIR FIRST ‘SEPTEMBER MADNESS’ TOURNAMENT MOSQUITO DIVISION ROUND ROBIN GAME VICTORY
Game Post composed with file from Sadie Whitfield-Smith
Under an embroidered duvet of serene late summer skies, the Red Sox defeated the Mariners 9-4 in a four inning Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Tournament Mosquito Division round robin game this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, the Red Sox jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Following a pair of two out walks by Jacob (13) and Caz (2) that put two mallards on the pond, Charlie (5) delivered a clutch two RBI double to bring them home
- Unfazed, Mariners starter Jeremy (4) rang up two strikeouts and a groundout to put a kibosh on the Beantown uprising.
- With true grit and a dash of Dijon mustard, Red Sox starting pitcher Charlie mowed down the Mariners in 1-2-3 fashion in the bottom of the first frame with three electrifying strikeouts that kept the M’s offence moored to the dock.
- The Red Sox added three runs to their pot of beans in the top half of the second to increase their advantage to 5-0. Evan (1), Finch (10) and Nate (6) reached base to open the inning and subsequently came home to do the Funky Chicken.
- Not to be outdone, the Mariners answered back with three in the bottom of the second to trim the gap to 5-3. Jeremy, Julia (11) and Georgia (8) would reach base to begin the inning and subsequently came home to do the Gangnam Style.
- Nonplussed, the Red Sox replied with three in the top of the third frame to stretch their lead to 8-3. Andy (8), Jacob and Caz came homeward with a pallet load of Heinz Maple Style Beans with Pure Quebec Maple Syrup.
- The Mariners threatened in the bottom portion of the third when Oliver (1) and Oscar (7) garnered back to back walks that put two swans on the lake. However, Red Sox reliever Evan found his mojo and struck out three M’s to leave them stranded and off ye old scoring ledger.
- In the top of the fourth, the Beantowners tacked on an insurance run to widen their lead to 9-3. After drawing a leadoff walk, Evan swiped his way around the horn to third with Boston Tea Party aplomb. Finch followed with a RBI single to bring the tea-totallin’ Evan home.
- On the play, Finch made a brazen attempt to stretch his single to centre field into a double. However, after taking receipt of the throw, Mariners second baseman Malito (19) slapped a tag on a sliding Finch to erase him on a chitty, chitty, bang, bang, 8-4 putout.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, the Mariners continued to battle in the bottom of the fourth. After garnering a leadoff walk, Julia swiped her way to third and took advantage of a Red Sox error to zoom home with a run.
- Shaken, but not stirred, Red Sox reliever Andy (8) would find the groove in the fourth as he tallied a strikeout, groundout and fly out to bring the curtain down on the Beantown victory.