THE ARTFUL DODGERS PREVAIL OVER THE BIG RED MACHINE AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN THEIR FIRST ‘SEPTEMBER MADNESS’ TOURNAMENT PEEWEE DIVISION ROUND ROBIN GAME VICTORY
Game Post composed with file from Jaleelah Ammar
Beneath a tranquil ceiling of cool nighttime summer skies, the Dodgers prevailed 10-7 over the Reds in a rock ’em sock ’em 4 ½ inning Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Tournament Peewee Division round robin game tonight at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- The Reds jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top half of the first. With two outs and a runner on base, Alex (2) delivered a clutch RBI single to bring Lucky (10) home with the opening run of the game.
- Dodgers starter Josh (10) chalked up three groundouts to subdue the Big Red Machine in the first frame.
- In the bottom of the first, Reds starter Alex (2) stymied the Dodgers with a groundout and pop out. The Reds defence also pitched in to help erase a wayfaring Dodgers baserunner.
- The Reds exploded for four runs in the top of the second to extend their advantage to 5-0. Kyle (4), Conor (13), Lucca (19) and Jesse (9) reached base in conga line fashion and subsequently came home doing the Macarena.
- The Artful Dodgers replied with a pair in the bottom half of the second. to trim the margin to 5-2. Jakub (1) and Steven (7) got on base to begin the inning and subsequently came home with a wagon load of Reese’s Peanut Buttercups.
- Nonplussed, Reds reliever Liam (7) tallied two strikeouts and a groundout in the second to diffuse the Dodgers uprising.
- Dodgers reliever Luka (8) kept the Big Red Machine offence in neutral in the top of the third courtesy of a pop out, flyout and groundout.
- The Dodgers rallied with a four spot in the bottom of the third to take a 6-5 lead. With Barry Manilow Copacabana conga line precision, Diego (5), Charles (14), Malik (12) and Jasper (15) all reached base and subsequently came home in formation to do the Hootchy-Kootchy.
- In the top portion of the fourth, the Reds threatened when Lucca, Jesse and Lucky respectively got on base to load the bases. Shaken, but not stirred, Dodgers reliever Jakub found his mojo and chalked up two strikeouts and a lineout to leave them stranded. Kudos to first baseman Diego for snagging a scorching hot tamale line drive off the bat of Conor to tally the second out of the inning.
- With the wind in their sails, the Dodgers added four insurance runs to their booty in the bottom of the fourth to widen their lead to 10-5. Steven, Jordan (4), Reilly (2) and Diego reached base and subsequently came homeward with a pallet of peameal bacon. A tip of the cap to Charles for stroking a RBI double to bring Diego home.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, the Big Red Machine donned their rally caps in the top of the fifth to keep their comeback hopes alive. Liam and Alex reached base to leadoff the inning and subsequently came home to cut the deficit to 10-7.
- With the game on the line, the Dodgers came up with a big 6-3-2 double play to stem the Reds rally. With no outs and a Reds baserunner on third base, Kyle hit into 6-3 fielder’s choice. As Dodgers shortstop Jordan made the throw to first baseman Reilly, Reds baserunner Stephen (8) bolted homeward. With Stephen charging towards home, Dodgers catcher Jakub caught the lighning throw from Reilly and tagged a sliding Stephen out in a chitty, chitty, bang, bang, play at the dish.
- With two outs, the pesky Big Red Machine batting order continued to battle as they loaded the bases in final effort to thwart the Artful Dodgers. However, Dodgers reliever Sawyer (14) found the groove and coaxed the next batter into a groundout to bring the curtain down on the proceedings.