TAKING IT TO THE LIMIT, THE EAGLES PREVAIL OVER THE WOLVES TO TAKE HOME THE CHAMPIONSHIP PRIZE AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with file from Flynn O’Dacre
Beneath a tranquil ceiling of late summer skies, the Eagles defeated the Wolves 8-5 in a 5 ½ inning final this evening at Dominico Field at Christie Pits to win the 2019 Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Tournament Bantam Division Championship Game.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- The Wolves jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. Camille (3) and Cooper (8) led off the inning with back to back walks and would subsequently come home to roost.
- Wolves starter Vince (1) tallied a strikeout and a pair of groundouts in the bottom of the first to keep the Eagles in their nest and off the scoring ledger.
- Eagles pitcher Ben (7) struck out three in the top of the second to keep the Wolves in their lair and off the scoreboard.
- In the bottom half of the second, the Eagles replied with a run to slice the gap to 2-1. After garnering a two out walk, Kyle (8) swiped his way around the horn and subsequently stole home to score the Eagles first run of the game.
- The Wolves added a run to their Little Red Riding Hood picnic basket in the top of the third to extend their advantage to 3-1. With one out, Cooper drew a walk and subsequently came home to crow.
- Eagles reliever Dante (12) pitched his way out of a bases loaded jam in the third with a pair of groundouts and a strikeout.
- Taking flight, the Eagles exploded for a four spot in the bottom of the third to take a 5-3 lead. Dante, Evan (11), Julius (14) and Luca (15) would reach base to open the inning and subsequently come home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, Eagles reliever Luca chalked up a fly out and two strikeouts in the top of the fourth to keep the Wolves in their den,
- The Eagles tallied a run in the bottom of the fourth to take a 6-3 lead. After garnering a walk, Kyle would subsequently make his way home with the go ahead run.
- Wolves reliever Owen (15) rang up two strikeouts and a groundout in the fourth frame to quell the Eagles insurgency.
- The Wolves would threaten in the top of the fifth by getting several baserunners on the pond. However, Eagles reliever Luca tallied two strikeouts to put a kibosh on the threat.
- In the bottom portion of the fifth, the Eagles tacked on a pair of insurance runs to stretch their upper hand to 8-3. Dante and Julius would reach base and subsequently come home to the jitterbug.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, the Wolves donned their rally caps in the top of the sixth and clawed back with a pair to trim the margin to 8-5. Owen and Noah (5) would reach base on respective walks and subsequently come home with the peameal bacon.
- With the bases loaded, Eagles reliever Julius found his mojo and rang up a groundout and two strikeouts to seal the deal on the championship victory.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Additional photos from the Bantam Division Championship Game will be uploaded eventually. Please check back for updates.