THE CRAWFORDS PREVAIL OVER THE MONARCHS TO TAKE HOME THE CHAMPIONSHIP PRIZE AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with file from Flynn O’Dacre
Beneath a ceiling of cool mid September skies, the Crawfords defeated the Monarchs 10-6 in a six inning final tonight at Dominico Field at Christie Pits to win the 2019 Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Tournament Varsity Division Championship Game.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, the Crawfords staked themselves to an early 2-0 lead after Angus (1) and Thomas (9) reached base and subsequently came home to roost.
- Monarchs starter Will (4) struck out two in the first to subdue the Crawfords insurgency.
- The Monarchs threatened in the bottom of the first after Jude (6), Leandro (3) and Nolan garnered respective walks to load the bases. However, Crawfords starter Max (11) pitched himself out of the jam with a groundout, fly out and strikeout to keep the Monarchs off the scoring ledger,
- With authority, Monarchs starter Will mowed down the Crawfords with three strikeouts in the top of the second to keep them off the scoring abacus.
- The Monarchs offence roared to life in the bottom of the second as they tallied three to take a 3-2 lead. Reed (13), PJ (8) and Michael (14) would reach base to open the inning and subsequently come home to crow.
- Not to be outdone, the Crawfords answered back with a run in the top of the third to deadlock the affair 3-3. After garnering a one out walk, Angus would swipe his way around the horn and subsequently come home to crow.
- However, the Monarchs replied with a pair in the bottom half of the third to take a 5-3 advantage. Nolan and Reed would reach base and come homeward with the go ahead runs.
- In the top portion of the fourth, the Crawfords exploded for three to take a slender tenderloin 6-5 lead. Max, Griff (3) and Jackson (7) would reach base to leadoff the inning and subsequently come home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- Crawfords reliever Jamie (5) struck out three in the bottom of the fourth to keep the Monarchs off the scoreboard.
- The Crawfords tacked on four insurance runs in the top portion of the fifth to widen their advantage to 10-5. Josh (12), Thomas, Max and Griff would reach base and subsequently come home to do the Gangnam Style.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, the Monarchs donned their rally caps in the bottom of the sixth as they scored a run to trim the gap to 10-6 when Michael came home to roost.
- Crawfords reliever Angus tallied a strikeout and a pair of groundouts in the sixth to bring the curtain down on the championship victory.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Additional photos from the Varsity Championship Game will be uploaded eventually. Please check back for updates.