UPDATED on April 4, 2018
The Toronto Playgrounds Baseball Committee has announced that the ninth session of indoor tryouts/practices for our respective 2018 Toronto Playgrounds Baseball Select Teams will take place on Saturday, April 7. The tryouts/practices will continue in the double gym at Harbord Collegiate Institute, which is located at 286 Harbord Street, between Manning and Euclid Avenues.
To enter the school people must use Door # 5, which is located at the northeast corner of the school off Euclid Avenue. Once you go in that door follow the signs to the gym. Parking is available in the underground school lot as well as on the street. Do not park on school property other than the underground lot. The entrance to the lot is off Euclid Ave. just north of door # 5.
Here is the April 7 schedule for the ninth session of TP Select Team Tryouts/Practices:
- 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. > Minor Mosquito Select Practice (2008) [team has been chosen]
- 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon > Peewee Select Practice (2005 & 2006) [team has been chosen]
- 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. > Bantam Select Practice (2003 & 2004) [team has been chosen]
- 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. > Major Mosquito Select Practice (2007) [team has been chosen]
- 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. > Rookie Ball Select Tryout (players born in 2009 & 2010)
- 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. > Midget Select Tryout (players born in 2000, 2001 & 2002)
Participants are advised that we will be moving the times of some of the tryouts around every few weeks to give as many people as possible the chance to make it out to some of them.
In order to participate in the Select tryouts, players will have to hand in a waiver signed by a parent/guardian. This form only has to be handed in once, not every week. Please print off and sign the waiver and bring it to the tryouts. We will have some blank ones on hand, but the more people who bring them signed, the faster the check in process will be for everyone. Please click on the following link to access a printable PDF copy of the waiver form: 2018 TP SELECT TRYOUT WAIVER AND CONSENT FORM
Please note, as this is very important….information and schedules regarding all Select tryouts after Saturday, January 20 will be posted on our website (www.tpbaseball.ca) on the Select Page….the information will NOT be sent out as a general email. So, if you are interested in trying out for Select, please make sure to check the website or Twitter feed (@TPbaseballnews) by Tuesday of each week to see the Select tryout schedule for that Saturday. We will be moving the times of some of the tryouts around a bit every few weeks to give as many people as possible the chance to make it out to some of them.
In addition, participants interested in our Select program are strongly encouraged to read the detailed information sheet below:
TP Houseleague Baseball Select Program Information Sheet
The Toronto Playgrounds Houseleague Baseball Select program is an extension of our houseleague program. Playing Select gives interested players the opportunity to try out for the chance to play more baseball each week (one game and one practice (some weeks two practices)) without having to make the larger time and financial commitment that is involved with “Rep” baseball. The select team is made up entirely of players who are also playing in our houseleague program. There are tryouts involved for our Select teams, and players have to make the teams. Additionally, the Select game night during the season is always the same…some weeks it’s a home game and some weeks it’s an away game.
The select tryouts will begin indoors later in January. Most (possibly all) of the tryout sessions will be taking place on Saturdays in the gym at Harbord Collegiate. The coaches for each team will be determining the minimum number of tryouts that players need to attend in order to be considered for the team, and they will be communicating that number to players and parents at the beginning of the indoor select tryout process. The select teams will be chosen by mid- to late-March so that the teams will have some indoor time for practices before moving outside in mid- to late-April.
In 2018, our Select teams will play in the Toronto West Select Loop, which is coordinated by the Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA). This loop involves teams from Bloordale, Martingrove, Royal York, Weston, Annette and York. The longest trip for an away game is about 45 minutes.
There is a registration fee for players on the select teams which is in addition to the houseleague registration fee. The select fee will depend upon the number of tournaments the team enters and the cost of the uniformsthat are purchased. For this past 2017 season, the fee ranged from $325.00 to $450.00 (depending upon the factors described above).
Parents and players are advised that select players must also participate regularly and appropriately in our houseleague program. When playing houseleague games, the players will be expected to wear their houseleague uniforms, just as they will be expected to wear their select uniforms when playing their select games. Participating appropriately in houseleague also means that we expect select players to be supportive of and respectful to all of their teammates, players on the other teams, and umpires.
Teams for 2018:
For the 2018 season, we are planning to field select teams in the Rookie Ball (players born in 2009 and 2010), Mosquito (players born in 2007 and 2008), Peewee (players born in 2005 and 2006), Bantam (players born in 2003 and 2004) and Midget(players born in 2000, 2001 and 2002) divisions. Based upon the numbers of players who participated in our outdoor select tryouts/workouts in the fall, we are planning on fielding both a Minor and a Major Select team in the Mosquito division for 2018, and one Select team in each of the Rookie Ball, Peewee, Bantam, and Midget divisions for 2018.
Attendance Requirements for Select:
In deciding whether or not you’d like to pursue the select option for your child/children, you need to also consider the attendance requirement that we expect from select players. This required commitment stems from the fact that, as select baseball involves a wider range ofskills and strategies than are traditionally featured in our houseleague program, the coaches need more opportunities to demonstrate these in practices and the players need to have consistent and regular opportunities to both work on them in practices and apply them in game situations. Select baseball will be fun for our players (we wouldn’t do it otherwise), but it does involve a more comprehensive and intensive set of training skills and drills, and players taking part in select need to be able to focus enough to make sure they’re taking advantage of the opportunities to enhance their baseball and teammate skills.
Here are the terms of the attendance requirements for Select baseball:
- the Toronto West EBA playoff tournaments will take place on one of the middle weekends in August 2018 (either 10th, 11th, 12th or 17th, 18th, 19th – we’ll know which one early in 2018) – in order to take one of the spots on a select team you will have to be available that weekend.
- in order to enable coaches to fully make final preparations for the playoff tournament, players need to attend all games and practices from Tuesday August 7th until the end of the playoff tournament.
- in order for players to maintain the skill and strategy development that will be taking place throughout the select practice/game process, the coaches of each team will be determining the minimum number of games/practices that players taking a spot on one of the select teams will need to attend during May June and July. This number will be communicated to players and parents at the beginning of the indoor select tryout process.
- players must commit to attending practices as well as games.
- if any of our select teams are fortunate enough to win the Toronto West EBA playoff tournament mentioned above, they will then be entered into the SOBA (Select Ontario Baseball Association) Provincial Championship tournament. While the locations are still to be determined, the tournaments will take place on Labour Day weekend (Aug. 31st, Sept. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd 2018), so players will need to possibly plan on being available that weekend.
- Obviously, our expectations regarding attendance during the select season are different than the expectations we have regarding our houseleague program. While we expect players to be attending houseleague practices and games whenever they are in the city and available, longer holidays and/or more frequent holidays during the summer don’t impact houseleague participation the same way they would select participation. With the additional travel and time commitment required from everyone in select, including the coaches (most of whom also participate in houseleague each week as parents and possibly coaches), we need to ask for a different type of “buy in” from those wanting to be involved in our select program.
If you’re interested in participating in the Select program or if you have any other questions, please contact us at email@example.com.