FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, THE MONARCHS TAKE GAME FIVE AT DOMINICO FIELD TO WIN THE BEST OF SEVEN CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES 4-1
Beneath pristine September skies this evening at Dominico Field at Christie Pits, the Monarchs defeated the Crawfords 14-4 in 6 ½ innings to win the best of seven 2013 Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Midget Division Championship 4-1.
Playing a sound all around game from the first pitch to the final out , the Monarchs utilized their strong pitching and solid defense to stymie the potent Crawfords offense throughout the majority of the proceedings. After the Crawfords had scored four runs in the first, four Monarchs pitchers combined to shutout the reigning Midget Division champions the rest of the way.
Meanwhile, the Monarchs offense seized upon the opportunities that arose to construct a sizable lead over the Crawfords, whereby they didn’t need to look back in the rear view mirror.
Playing a stellar all around game throughout the tournament, the Monarchs successful championship run was predicated upon contributions from each and every player on the team. Their triumph was a total team victory in the purest measure, where each player stepped up and did what was necessary to put the team first and foremost.
Here are some highlights:
- In five plate appearances, Daniel (2) powered the Monarchs offense by going 3 for 4 at the dish (two singles, walk, double) with four runs scored and 3 RBI’s. Daniel also pitched two scoreless innings with one strikeout.
- Monarchs reliever Baiden (8) threw two stellar innings where he allowed no runs while striking out one. In four trips to the dish, Baiden went 2 for 4 with two runs scored.
- In four visits to the plate, Alex (12) of the Monarchs went 3 for 3 (three singles, walk) with two runs scored and 2 RBI’s. Alex also tossed a scoreless second inning.
- Dante (4) stroked a big 2 RBI double for the Monarchs in the first inning.
- Monarchs shortstop Daniel and first baseman Baiden combined to turn a nifty 6-3 putout in the second inning.
- Monarchs eft fielder Baiden made a nice catch on deep fly ball in the third.
- Monarchs third baseman Oliver (10) made a nice throw to first baseman Sam (9) to complete a 5-3 putout in the fifth.
- On a deep fly ball, left fielder Joel (15) of the Monarchs made a nifty catch in the sixth.
- Monarchs shortstop Oliver made two solid 6-3 plays to retire the first two Crawfords in the seventh.
- Crawfords reliever Stanny (8) tossed two workmanlike innings where he allowed only three runs while mowing down four Monarchs.
The TP Baseball Committee wishes to commend Crawfords Coach Chris Novielli and all the Crawfords players on a great season.
The Committee wishes to congratulate Monarchs Coach Steve Smith for guiding this talented group of Monarchs players to such great heights of achievement in 2013. Way to go, Monarchs!
MORE PICTURES TO FOLLOW…eventually.