DOWN 4-3, THE SWASHBUCKLING BUCCANEERS RALLY FOR THE GOLD DOUBLOON VICTORY OVER THE GRITTY LIZZIES AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summaries edited with files from Devon Forbes and Steve Yacht
Beneath a ceiling of warm and breezy skies, the Pirates edged the Lizzies 5-4 in four thrilling innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Chrsitie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Pirates account of the battle:
Pirates starter Nigel (14) pitched a scoreless top of the first with two strikeouts while walking two batters.
The bottom of the first began with Dajuan (10) and Loyan (6) leading off the frame with back to back walks to put two aboard. After the Bucs pulled off double steal with two outs,Francis (2) drove in the first run of the game with RBI single that scored Dajuan from third base to give the Pirates an early 1-0 lead.
In the top of the second, Pirates reliever Dylan (7) pitched a scoreless inning with three strikeouts while walking two batters.
After getting on base with a one out base hit to left, Nigel proceeded to steal second and third base. Dean (9) would deliver a RBI single to bring Nigel home to widen the Pirates advantage to 2-0. Subsequently, the Lizzies were able to end the inning with a double play.
Bucs reliever Francis (2) pitched the top of the third and gave up two runs while striking out one.
After getting on base with a two out walk, Loyan proceeded to steal second and third. Liam (5) followed with RBI infield hit that allowed Loyan to come home and allow the Pirates to retake the lead 3-2.
Pirates pitcher Nigel re-entered the fray in the top of the fourth and gave up two runs while striking out three.
Francis led of the bottom of the fourth with a home run to right field to tie the game 4-4.
After getting on base with a walk, Aiden (1) would steal second and third base. With two outs, Dean delivered a RBI infield hit that allowed Aiden (1) to come home with the Pirates game winning run.
Here is a Lizzies log of the proceedings:
- The Lizzies took on the Pirates this week at Christie Pits.
- After a scoreless top of the first, Lizzies starter Jamie (13) took to the mound in the bottom of the first, racking up two strikeouts and fielding a grounder for an out at first. The gnarly Pirates did manage a run to take an early 1-0 lead.
- The Mosquito Division call ups got into the action in the top of the second with Cooper (2) whacking a double and stealing third and Pasha (7) walking and stealing second. However, the Lizzies couldn’t bring them homeward bound and ended the inning scoreless again.
- Lizzies reliever Josh (4) struck out his first batter in the bottom of the second. Cooper continued to shine, catching an infield pop and making his own double play at second base as the Pirates attempted to advance their runner. However, the Pirates added another run to their tally to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Lizzies showed some spark in the third with a double by Raymond (14), who proceed to steal third and home for the Lizzies first run of the game. Josh then walked and stole second and third. Jona (6) sacrificed to bring in Josh and the game was tied 2-2.
- Lizzies reliever Zenon (9) came in to pitch the bottom of the third, striking out the first two batters as well as the final batter of the inning. However, the Bucs managed one run to retake the lead 3-2.
- Zenon opened the top of the fourth with a walk followed by two stolen bases. Cooper and call-up Miles (12) singled and Cooper stole home giving the Lizzies a 4-3 lead going into the bottom of the inning.
- Despite Lizzies closer Cooper ringing up two strikeouts on the Bucs, the Pirates offense kept coming and retook the lead for a 5-4 victory.