THE GRITTY LIZZIES PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY RED SOX AT TRINITY-BELLWOODS PARK
Game Summaries edited with files from Steve Yacht and Richard Park
Under a hazy ceiling of hot and muggy skies, the Lizzies defeated the Red Sox 10-6 in three innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Trinity-Bellwoods Park Diamond 2.
Here is a Lizzies account of the proceedings:
- The Red Sox played host to the Lizzies at Trinity-BellwoodsPark this week.
- Owen (15) opened the scoring in the top of the first by stealing home for the Lizzies first run and stake them to an early 1-0 lead.
- Lizzies starter Owen took to the mound in the bottom of the first and recorded a strike out and picking off a Red Sox base stealer at home.
- In the top of the second, Mason (4) drew a walk, stole second and third and then came home to roost with a run. After Owen smacked a single, Cassius (5), Dash (8) and Ian (12) got on base, leading to four run Lizzies rally that allowed them to retake the lead 5-4.
- Lizzies reliever Dash (8) entered the fray in the bottom of the second and racked up three strikeouts to bring the curtain down on the inning.
- Both the Red Sox entered the third under a darkening sky. A series of walks by Cassius, Finn (6), Willem (10), Ian, as well as a hit batsman (Dash) allowed the Lizzies to rally and score five in the top of the third and take a 10-6 advantage.
- Showing great velocity and control under dusky conditions, Lizzies closer Ian (12) blanked the Red Sox in the bottom of the third and sealed the deal with two strikeouts.
- With a runner on base, Lizzies left fielder Dash made the defensive play of the game by catching a deep fly ball off the bat of Noah (8) to rob the Red Sox of a sure home run.
Here is a Red Sox log of the game:
- Red Sox starter Noah (8) pitched a solid top half by allowing only one run on two walks and two strikeouts. Noah also made a nice 1-3 fielding play to Red Sox first baseman Anthony (2) to help his own cause during the frame.
- In the bottom half of the first, Noah (8) continued his solid play with a single to help the Red Sox plate four runs and take a 4-1 lead.
- Red Sox reliever Myles (9) made his Mosquito Division regular season pitching debut and recorded one strike out while surrendering four runs. Second baseman Adam (1) made a nice fielding play at second to chalk up the second out.
- However, the pesky Red Sox answered back quickly in the bottom half of the frame to retake the lead 6-5 on a pair of heads up steals of home plate by Anthony (2) and Daniel (5).
- With the sun going down quickly on the horizon, the officiating TP umpires announced that the third was the last inning.
- Red Sox reliever Alex (14) recorded a quick 6-3 putout when shortstop Noah (8) made a nice throw to first baseman Vincent (4). However, the gritty Lizzies rallied and stormed ahead with five runs to take the lead 10-6.
- In the bottom half of the third, Lucas (11) singled to lead off the inning to give the Red Sox some hope. Then Noah (8) launched a deep fly ball to left field. However, Lizzies left fielder Dash (8) was well positioned to make the easy catch. After Myles singled to put runners on second and third, the Lizzies closed the door with two K’s to end the game.