THE BEANTOWNERS REEL IN THE DEVILISH RAYS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summary edited with file from Richard Park
Under a ceiling of cool and genteel summer skies, the Red Sox defeated the Rays 9-6 in three innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a Red Sox account of the proceedings:
In their final Mosquito Division regular season game, a short-handed Red Sox team was able to jump ahead early and keep the Rays at bay.
- With one run in, Lucas (11) singled and was driven home by a deep two run home run shot to right field by Sasha (6). With Sasha showing no signs of rust after a four week hiatus away from the diamond, the Red Sox staked themselves to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first.
- Red Sox starter Anthony (2) shut down the Rays with one walk and three strikeouts in the bottom half of the frame.
- With momentum on their side, the Red Sox tacked on four more runs in the top half of the second to extend their lead to 8-0.
- Red Sox reliever Lucas (11) battled hard in the bottom of the second as the Rays rallied with four runs to trim the deficit to four. Lucas recorded a strike out and he helped himself out with nifty 1-3 putout play to first baseman Anthony.
- Benjamin (99) [a Rookie Ball call up] led off the third with a sizzling hot shot past the Rays third baseman for a single. Benjamin eventually came around to score the lone Red Sox run of the inning.
- In the bottom of the third, Red Sox closer Sasha (6) gave up a pair of runs before striking out two Rays to seal the deal on the 9-6 victory. In a nice solo putout play, Sasha snagged a hard hit ball to the first base side of the mound and his momentum carried him over to first well ahead of the Rays base runner.