TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE A’s AT RAVINA GARDENS TO EARN THEIR SECOND EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Under a ceiling of overcast skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Peewee Selects defeated the Annette A’s 6-3 in seven innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Ravina Gardens.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Marco Bianchi:
- Before the rains started, TP and Annette managed to squeeze in seven riveting innings of baseball in a tight contest.
- In the top of the first, TP would take an early 1-0 lead. After reaching base on a single, Solly swiped two bags en route to being cashed in on a fielder’s choice.
- TP starter Kieran would pitch a scoreless bottom of the first by retiring the A’s batting lineup in order.
- In the bottom of the second, TP would score two more to extend their lead to 3-0. After Liam drew a walk and stole second, Camille delivered TP’s only RBI hit of the game by slashing a single through the right side of the Annette infield and cashing in Liam from second. Following a steal of second, Camille would come home to roost on a two base throwing error by the A’s catcher.
- TP reliever Theo entered the fray in the second inning to pitch the second and third frames. During his two innings on the hill, Theo only surrendered a single and nothing more to the A’s.
- Annette would score their first two runs of the game in the top of the fourth to trim the deficit to two. After taking advantage of a walk and hit batter, Annette would cash in their chips with a solid single to right field. TP reliever Charlie would settle down and retire the next three A’s in order to end the threat.
- TP and Annette would trade zeros until the seventh inning. TP reliever Cooper pitched a solid fifth and sixth innings and induced weak contact while striking out five A’s batters.
- In the top of the seventh, TP got the insurance runs they had been looking for since the second inning. After loading the bases with one, TP scored three through a combination of smart, alert base-running and productive outs.
- Leading 6-2, TP closer Solly came in to pitch the bottom of the seventh. A pesky Annette squad struck with a double and triple to pull within three. Shaken, but not stirred, Solly would fan the A’s final batter to preserve the win.
- As a team, TP managed to limit the damage on hard hit balls and made no errors on the defensive side of the ball, keeping a powerful Annette team to just two runs to show for their determined efforts.
- Next up: Weston! (for a home ‘away’ game versus the Wolverines!!!).
The TP Minor Peewee Selects (2-1) will be the away team next Wednesday, May 31 when they play the Weston Wolverines at Christie Pits Diamond 2 at 7:00 p.m.