TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TAME THE WOLVERINES AT PELMO PARK TO EARN ITS SEVENTH EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Beneath a ceiling of warm and genteel summer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects defeated the Weston Wolverines 20-6 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Pelmo Park.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- TP jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. After Charlie Z (8) led off the frame with a hit, Duncan (14) stroked a RBI single to bring him home with the first run of the game. Dylan P. (9) followed with a RBI hit to score the second run.
- Weston clawed back with a run in the bottom of the first to slice the deficit to one. However, the Wolverines rally bid was shut down by a nifty 6-3-2 TP double play from Arlo (32) to Duncan (14) to Milo (5).
- The dynamic tandem of Arlo and Milo were at it again in the top of the second. After Arlo got on base with a double, and Milo cashed him in with a RBI double of his own to push the TP lead to 3-1.
- In the bottom of the second, Weston got another one back with an inside the park home run that trimmed the margin to 3-2.
- The TP bats got going in the top of the third with Adam (20) leading off the inning with a single. Duncan followed with a RBI triple that delivered Adam home to crow – but was called out on a technical violation by an anonymous Wolverines coach. Nevertheless, the TP hit parade continued unabated with Troy (2) getting on base, followed by a hit from Dylan P that put two otters on the lake. Momo (18) entered the fray and delivered a RBI double. With base runners at second and third. Dylan S. (10) stepped up to the dish and powered a two RBI double that gave TP a 7-2 advantage,
- However, the pesky Wolverines got another run in the bottom of the third to trail 7-3.
- TP replied with two more in the top of the fourth to widen its lead to 9-3. After a leadoff single by Milo, Will (6) followed with a single that put two ducks on the pond. Adam (20 stepped into the breach and cashed both Milo and Will in with a two RBI double.
- After TP held Weston off the scoreboard in the bottom if the fourth, TP tallied four in the top of the fifth to stretch its plurality to 13-3. After Troy led off the frame with a double, Dylan P. brought him home with a RBI double. Momo followed with a RBI single to deliver Dylan P. home to do the watusi. Subsequently, Momo was driven home with a RBI double from Arlo, Later, Arlo came homeward after a series singles from Milo and Charlie C. (11).
- The TP defence kept Weston off the scoring ledger again in the bottom of the fifth.
- In the top of the sixth, TP exploded for seven insurance runs to increase its lead to 20-3. The offensive onslaught was sparked with key hits from Adam, Charlie Z, Duncan, Troy, Dylan P, Arlo, Milo, Charlie C and a BIG HOME RUN from Dylan S.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, Weston gamely rallied with three runs in the bottom of the sixth to pull within fourteen, However, the Wolverines comeback bid eventually fizzled with TP emerging with a 20-6 road victory.
- Once again, TP’s BIG BATS were out in force again, with everyone on the team contributing a hit.
The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects (7-1) continue their road trip on the EBA Select circuit next week when they travel to Neilson Park on Tuesday, July 11 to battle the Bloordale Green at 6:30 p.m. TP will attempt to avenge an opening day 11-7 loss to the Bombers back on May 9….their only EBA Select regular season loss during their 2017 campaign.