FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, THE A’s TAKE DOWN TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT CHRISTIE PITSBeneath a blanket of warm midsummer skies, the Annette A’s defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Rookie Ball Selects 34-7 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The lopsided proceeding was an entertaining affair that was contested between two talented squads. In the end, it was not TP’s day as Annette reigned supreme by unleashing a forty-eight hit fusillade to pull away for a well deserved victory.
Here is a recap of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, the A’s staked themselves to an early 5-0 lead. After Jack (1), Thomas (11) and Lochlan (2) stroked consecutive one out singles to load the bases, Aidan (7) delivered a two RBI single to bring Jack and Thomas home with the opening runs of the game. With two aboard, Kai G. (3) would into a fielder’s choice that would bring Lochlan home to roost. Following a two out single by Brock (44) that put two mallards on the lake, Kaish (10) stroked a RBI single to plate Kai G. With two aboard, Sebastian (2) delivered a RBI single to bring Brock home to crow.
- TP would reply with three in the bottom of the first to trim the deficit to two. Following a pair of one out singles by Will (6) and Leland (21) that put two ducks on the pond, Ben (8) delivered a two out RBI single to bring Will home with TP’s first run of the game. With two aboard, Holden (25) and Michael (9) followed with respective RBI singles to bring Leland and Ben home to do the jitterbug.
- Annette would tally a pair in the top of the second to extend their lead to 7-3. Following back to back singles by Nick (9) and Jack to leadoff the inning, Lochlan delivered a two RBI single to bring them home.
- Refusing to back down, TP scored a pair in the bottom of the second to close the margin to 7-5. After a pair of leadoff singles by Henry (14) and Qayam (11) that put two aboard, Nathan (29) connected for a RBI single to bring Henry home. Subsequently, with one out and two runners on base, Leland stroked a RBI single to plate Nathan.
- The A’s would unleash a nine hit barrage in the top of the third and score seven to increase their advantage to 14-5. After Brock and Kaish led off the frame with a pair of singles to put two otters on the pond, Sebastian delivered a two RBI single to bring them home. With one out and the bases loaded, Jack stroked a RBI single to plate Kai B. (45). Subsequently, with two outs and the bases still loaded, Lochlan connected for a RBI single to bring home Joseph (8). With the bases still juiced to the gills, Aidan followed with a two RBI single to bring Nick and Jack home. With two aboard, Kai G. delivered a RBI single to plate Lochlan.
- The TP defence would turn in a pair of defensive gems in the third frame. TP shortstop Will would hook up with second baseman Nathan on a pretty 6-4 putout play to erase Sebastian at second base to ring up the first out. Later, shortstop Will would battle the glare of the setting sun to make a nice catch on an eight mile high pop up off the bat of Thomas to chalk up the seoncd out.
- After TP went down in 1-2-3 fashion in the bottom of the third, Annette pounded out eight hits in the top of the fourth to score six runs and stretch their lead to 20-5. With no outs and the bases loaded, Kai B. delivered a two RBI single to bring home Brock and Kaish. With one out and two beavers on the lake, Nick would stroke a RBI single to plate Sebastian. Subsequently with two outs and the bases loaded, Lochlan delivered a two RBI double that sent Nick and Jack homeward bound. Aidan followed with a RBI single to score Thomas.
- Kudos to TP first baseman Leland for snagging a hot tamale line drive off the bat of Kai G. to ring up the third out of the fourth inning.
- After Annette kept TP off the scoring ledger in the bottom of the fourth, the A’s uncorked a nine hit assault in the top of the fifth to score seven more runs and extend their lead to 27-5.
- After the A’s utilized a ten hit blitz in the top of the sixth to score seven insurance runs and increase their lead to 34-7, TP went quietly into the night in the bottom half of the inning.
The TP Minor Rookie Ball Selects (2-9) hit the road for their next EBA Select game on Wednesday, August 1 when they venture to Pelmo Park to battle the Weston Wolverines at 7:00 p.m.