TAKING NO PRISONERS, THE HOMESTEADS PREVAIL OVER THE CRAWFORDS IN A MIDGET DIVISION ELIMINATION PLAYOFF GAME AT DOMINICO FIELD TO PUNCH A TICKET INTO A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME SHOWDOWN VERSUS THE STARS
Amidst a tranquil blanket of mysterious fog, the Homesteads defeated the Crawfords 9-4 in five innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Midget Division elimination round playoff action tonight at Dominico Field at Christie Pits.
The proceeding was a fun and well played contest between two talented and well coached teams. In the end, the Homesteads made the most of their opportunities both offensively and defensively to stymie the Crawfords and prevail for the victory. As a result, the Homesteads have punched a ticket into the Midget Division Championship Game, where they’ll battle the top ranked Stars tomorrow night (Wednesday, September 12) for all the marbles.
Here is a brief recap:
- The Homesteads staked themselves to an early 3-0 in the top of the first. Following a one out walk and a pair of stolen bases by Jake (14), Cormac (16) stroked a RBI single to bring Jake home with the opening run of the game. After Cormac had advanced to third courtesy of a pair of Crawfords errors, Piper delivered a RBI single to plate Cormac. After swiping a pair of bases to reach third, Piper would motor home on a Crawfords faux pas.
- Shaken, but not stirred, Crawfords starter Alden (2) would ring up three strikeouts in the first to end the Homesteads insurgency.
- Nonplussed, the Crawfords answered back with three in the bottom of the first to tie the game 3-3. Through a series of steals, errors and wild pitches, Alex (8), Harris (12) and Ben (5) would come home to roost.
- Homesteads starter Jake (14) tallied a groundout and strikeout in the first to terminate the Crawfords rebellion.
- Not to be outdone, the Homesteads replied with four in the top of the second to take a 7-3 lead. Following a leadoff single by Willem (12) and a double by Francis (7), Jake delivered a RBI single to bring Willem home with the go ahead run. A series of errors and wild pitches by the Crawfords would eventually allow Francis, Jake and Piper to come homeward and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- The Crawfords battled back with a run in the bottom of the second to trim the margin to 7-4. After a leadoff walk, Qingyuan (1) would eventually come around the horn and steal home.
- It turned into a pitching duel in the third and fourth frames with neither side generating any offence.
- In the top of the fifth, the Homesteads tacked on a pair of insurance runs to extend their lead to 9-4. Piper and Leo (2) came home with the bacon.