TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TAKE DOWN THE WHITE SOX AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS TO WIN THEIR 2019 EBA BANTAM SELECT LOOP SEASON OPENER
Game Post composed with file from Paul Kelly
Beneath a canopy of cool and overcast skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Bantam Selects defeated the Martingrove Grey 19-8 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Bantam Select Loop action this afternoon at Dominico Field at Christie Pits.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, Martingrove jumped out to an early 1-0 lead. Following a leadoff single by Robert (77), Joseph (9) muscled a double that put two swans on the lake. A subsequent TP wild pitch would allow Joseph to advance to third and bring Robert home with the opening run of the game.
- TP starter Josh (7) struck out two and induced a groundout in the first frame to shut down the Grey insurgency.
- Martingrove starter Andrew (7) retired TP in 1-2-3 fashion in the bottom of the first via a pop out and a pair of groundouts to keep them off the scoring ledger.
- The White Sox added a pair in top half of the second to widen their lead to 3-0. After a leadoff walk, Kuba (20) stole his way to third. Zachary (28) followed with a one out RBI single to bring Kuba home. A TP error on the play would allow Zachary to mosey over to second. After Robert garnered a two out walk that put runners at third and first, the Grey pulled off a double steal that allowed Zachary to come home to roost.
- Nonplussed, TP answered back with five runs in the bottom of the second to take a 5-3 lead. After a leadoff walk by Jude (3), Sasha (12) stroked a one out single that put two otters on the pond. Cameron (26) followed with a RBI single that brought Jude home with TP’s first run. Following a single by Josh that loaded the bases, Jackson (8) delivered a two RBI single that allowed Sasha and Cameron to come homeward with the tying runs. After Luca (14) garnered a walk that reloaded the bases, the Grey uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Jackson and Luca to move over respectively to third and second and brought Josh home with the go ahead run. After a two out walk by Jashan (13) loaded the bases again, Jamie (52) garnered a RBI walk to plate Jackson.
- Making his Bantam Select pitching debut, TP reliever Luca (14) struck out two Martingrove batters in the top of the third.
- With a 1-2-3 flourish, TP reliver Jashan (13) went three up and three down in the top of the fourth with three strikeouts against the Grey.
- In the top portion of the fifth, TP reliever James (6) chalked up a scoreless inning with a K and a flyout which led to a quirky 4-7-6 double play on the untagged White Sox baserunner on second base. After catching the fly ball, second baseman Jamie threw the ball over shortstop Josh’s head and into left field. Then left fielder Jude scooped up the ball and made a rocket throw to Josh that beat the wayfaring Martingrove baserunner’s attempt to get back to the bag.
- The TP batting effort versus the Grey was good overall with everyone making it on base at least once. Gianlucca (23) and Jackson each got a pair of singles and Jude got a single and a double.
The TP Bantam Selects (1-0) resume play on the EBA Bantam Select Loop circuit next Thursday (May 16) evening when they host the Annette A’s at Dominico Field at Christie Pits at 8:00 p.m.