DOWN 9-8, THE ROYALS RALLY IN DRAMATIC FASHION IN THE FINAL INNING TO WIN A THRILLER
Game Post composed with files from Gordon MacLeod and Peter Roy
Under hazy and humid skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Royals edged the Jays 10-9 in a nailbiting four inning Peewee Division thriller.
Trailing 9-8 in the bottom of the fourth, Zack (15) of the Royals delivered a grace under pressure game tying RBI hit to even the proceedings with the Jays.
With two outs and Zack standing at third with the winning run, Jays Head Coach Gordon MacLeod made a strategic defensive move by calling in his outfielders to play shallow for a play at either first or home.
It was at this juncture where Owen (14) of the Royals stroked a clutch ground ball hit to Jays right fielder Sarah (7). With Zack motoring home, Sarah corralled the ball and immediately threw home. In a cloud of dust at the plate, Zack just beat the throw as he slid home safely to score the Royals winning run.
In an exciting seesaw affair, the lead changed hands several times throughout the game.
Here are the highlights:
- Both the Jays and Royals displayed stellar pitching throughout the game. There were standout pitching efforts from Cameron (8) and Jeremy (15) of the Jays and Arlo (8) and Zack (15) of the Royals.
- Beca (6) of the Jays made a brilliant play throwing out a batter from right field in the first inning.
- In one of the best defensive gems of the season, Jays third baseman Angus (1) backhanded a screaming line drive in the first inning and came up and made a strong throw to first baseman Karl (5), who adeptly scooped up the ball in the dirt for the chitty chitty bang bang 5-3 putout.
- Kudos to Iliana (12) of the Royals for hitting a MONSTER line drive in the second inning. Iliana also made a nice Peewee Division pitching debut in the game.
- Royals pitcher Thomas (11) made a nice double play in the third inning.