PLAYING THEIR BEST GAME OF THE SEASON, THE GO GO LIZZIES RALLY FOR TWO RUNS IN THE FINAL INNING TO EARN A DRAW AGAINST THE POWERHOUSE CARDS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with files from Paul Bagnell and Matt Byrnes
On a beautiful summer evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3, the Lizzies and Cardinals played to a 9-9 draw during three turbo charged innings of Mosquito Division action.
Trailing 9-7, the Go Go Lizzies dramatically scored two runs in the bottom of the third to tie the Red Birds.
With the game on the line, Cardinals closer Solomon (11) struck out three to extinguish the Lizzies offensive uprising and preserve the draw.
Here are the highlights:
- Cardinals pitcher Solomon (11) struck out six in two innings of work, allowing 5 runs. Solomon held the Go Go Lizzies offense to two runs in the bottom of the third to preserve the tie.
- Thomas (14) had a clutch hit with the count 0-2 in the top of the third and raced around the bases to score what would be the Cardinals ninth (and eventual tying) run.
- Jake (2) of the Cards contributed with two RBI’s and was a force behind the plate.
- Lizzies who crossed the plate to score included Mark (11) who scored three times, including a scamper from second-base on an RBI single by Curtis (12); Fatima (14); and Jasper R. (4).
- Jasper R. (4), Fatima (14) and Curtis (12) shared the Lizzies pitching duties. Jasper R. notched two strikeouts, and Curtis fanned three batters.
- The hits came from Jasper dB (13) and Curtis (12). Both blasted singles.
- One of the Lizzies defensive highlights was Xavier’s (8) put-out at second base. An alert Xavier scooped up a grounder, and raced to the bag just ahead of a Cardinal runner to record the putout.