WITH A NAILBITING VICTORY OVER THE A’s, THE TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS MAJOR PEEWEE SELECTS FINISH WITH A 3-0 ROUND ROBIN RECORD AND ADVANCE TO SUNDAY’S TBA WEST PEEWEE SELECT LOOP PLAYOFF ELIMINATION ROUND FOR A SHOT AT THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Game Post composed with file from Thao Nguyen and Rob Ball
Under the lights on a warm evening at Millwood Park, our TP Major Peewee Selects edged the Annette A’s 11-10 in a nailbiting five inning titanic seesaw battle to finish with a perfect 3-0 record after the round robin playoff phase of the TBA West Peewee Select Loop Tournament.
Here are the highlights:
- TP starter Tyler (7) allowed only two Annette runs in the top of the first.
- The Major Peewees rallied for two runs in the bottom of the first to tie the game 2-2. Three TP batters were hit by pitch during the inning: Simon (5), Nathan (10), and (Birthday Girl) Elena (17).
- In the top of the second, the A’s scored four to surge ahead 6-5.
- Toronto Playgrounds answered back with five in the bottom of the second to take the lead 7-6.
- Tyler (7) pitched 2.1 innings and was relieved by Alex (9).
- After an Annette player hit a ball towards first base where TP first baseman Maghnus (19) dived for the ball and did a leap & crawl to first to record the out.
- The A’s scored a run in the top of the third to tie the proceedings 7-7.
- In the bottom of the third, TP scored three to retake the lead 10-7.
- In the top of the fourth, Simon came into the game to relieve Alex on the mound.
- Annette scored one run in the fourth to trim the deficit to two.
- The A’s held TP off the scoreboard in the bottom of the fourth.
- Annette rallied for two in the top of the fifth to tie the game 10-10
- With the game tied and the bases loaded, Simon (5) hit the a solid RBI single up through the middle to deliver TP’s winning run in the bottom of the fifth.
With the victory, Toronto Playgrounds advances to Sunday’s final elimination playoff round for a potential shot at the TBA West Peewee Select Loop Championship.
The TBA playoffs are governed by the double knockout formula whereby a team is eliminated from the tournament after two losses.
The Major Peewees (3-0) will play in an early 9 a.m. game against Weston tomorrow (Sunday, August 11) morning at Millwood Park.
On behalf of all the members of our baseball constituency, the TP Baseball Committee wishes the Major Peewee Selects continued success and all the best in Sunday’s final playoff round.
GO! TP! GO!