WITH AN 8-4 VICTORY OVER THE GUELPH ROYALS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS WINS ITS THIRD GAME IN A ROW TO ADVANCE TO THE TOM ASHIZAWA LITTLE “BIG 8″ TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AT SMYTHE PARKGame Post composed with file from Bill Evans.
Under a ceiling of hazy and warm skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Mosquito Selects defeated the Guelph Royals 8-4 in 4 ½ innings this morning at Smythe Park Diamond ‘A’ to win its third game in a row and advance to the championship game at the Tom Ashizawa Little “Big 8? Mosquito Select Tournament.
Here are some highlights:
- TP starter Aaron (18) and relievers Nigel (20) and Adi (1) combined to limit the potent Royals batting order to four runs during the proceedings.
- The effort and dedication of every Mosquito Select player arriving early for a 7:30 a.m. batting practice session prior to the 9 a.m. game with Guelph paid off in spades with nine of ten TP players getting hits.
- The TP offense answered the clarion call with a six run barrage in the third inning.
- Leandro (10) went 2 for 3 with two runs scored and 2 RBI’s.
- Harris (12) hit a double for an RBI and scored a run.
- Aaron (18) had a hit and scored a run.
- Nigel (20) had a hit and scored a run.
- Adam (14) went 2 for 2 with a run scored and 2 RBI’s.
- Adi (1) stroked a double for 2 rbis and scored a run.
- Alex (2) collected two hits and scored a run.
- Ben (4) had a hit 2 rbis and scored a run
- Dylan (11) collected a hit.
- Alex was solid in catching a complete five innings and playing a fantastic game behind the dish.
In a postgame media scrum, TP Mosquito Select Head Coach Bill Evans was euphoric about his team’s success at the “Big 8” tournament:
“This team is playing its best baseball of the season and are excited to play in the final today at 3 p.m.”
With their third victory at the tournament, TP advances to the Sunday afternoon championship final with a sparkling 3-0 record.
Eight teams are participating in the weekend ‘double elimination’ format tournament in Etobicoke. Any team that loses two games is knocked out of any further tournament play.
The Mosquito Selects (3-0) will play in the Little “Big 8” Championship Game at Smythe Park Diamond A against an opponent still to be determined at 3:00 p.m.
WOOHOO! GO! TP! GO!