FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS DEFUSES THE BOMBERS AND CRUISE TO THEIR FIRST VICTORY AT THE 2014 EBA PEEWEE SELECT CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF TOURNAMENT
Game Post composed with file from Paul Renton. Photographs courtesy of Kevin Hewitt.
Under a glorious canvas of sunny blue skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects defeated the Bloordale (2) Bombers 22-3 in three innings this morning at Millwood Park to win its first game at the 2014 Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Peewee Select Championship Playoff Tournament.
Here are the highlights:
- TP starter Tyler (42) pitched a strong top of the first where he allowed only two Bloordale runs while striking out two.
- The Major Peewees answered back with four in the bottom of the first to take a 4-2 lead. Leading the TP offensive surge was Tyler with a double; Jack H. (27) with a RBI single; Sasha (28) with a 2 RBI double; Arlo (7) with a RBI single; and Max (17) with a RBI single.
- Tyler pitched 2/3 of the second inning where he allowed only a run while fanning one Bomber.
- TP reliever Arlo (7) entered the fray with two outs in the second to douse the Bombers attack.
- In the bottom of the second, Toronto Playgrounds put the pedal to the metal and scored nine runs to take a commanding 13-3 lead. The TP offensive juggernaut was led by respective RBI singles by Jack K. (13), Tyler, Cam (77), Zach (32), Jack H.; a sacrifice RBI hit by Sasha; and a triple by Owen (5).
- Arlo pitches a stellar top of the third by keeping the Bombers off the scoresheet.
- Tyler made a GREAT infield catch to stymie the Bloordale attack in the third.
- Going for the jugular, TP tacks on nine insurance runs in the bottom of the third to widen their advantage to 22-3. Highlights include an inside the park home run by Tyler; a Jack H. three RBI inside the park home run; a Jack K. two RBI single; and a Tyler RBI single.
With the win, TP (1-1) will play the Royal York (1) Cardinals in their next EBA Select playoff elimination game at 1:30 p.m. this afternoon (Saturday, August 9) at Carmen Bush.
Each of the nine teams participating in this season’s EBA Peewee Select Championship Tournament are working under a double knockout playoff formula, whereby a team has to lose two games in order to be eliminated. Should a team reach the final round undefeated, they will have to lose twice to be eliminated.