WITH GRITTY VICTORIES OVER YORK AND ANNETTE, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS RECEIVES A BYE INTO SUNDAY’S FINAL FOR ALL THE MARBLES AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Photographs courtesy of Mike Zimmerman.
With a perfect 3-0 record, our Toronto Playgrounds Mosquito Selects have advanced to the Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Championship Final scheduled for tomorrow afternoon (Sunday, August 17) at 1:00 p.m. at Christie Pits.
TP awaits the winner of the semi-final game between the Annette A’s (2-1) and Bloordale Bombers (3-1), which is scheduled to be played on Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Each of the three teams remaining in this season’s EBA Mosquito Select Championship Tournament are working under a double knockout playoff formula, whereby a team has to lose two games in order to be eliminated. Should a team reach the final round undefeated, they will have to lose twice to be eliminated.
After a thrilling 7-6 victory over the Royal York (1) Cardinals to open the EBA playoff round on Friday evening, Toronto Playgrounds played with grit and passion to win both games on Saturday against the York Riverdogs and the Annette A’s to earn a bye into the championship final.
Here are recaps of Saturday’s games:
TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS 11 YORK RIVERDOGS 4
- York jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning at Christie Pits Diamond 2 with Alex (81) and Ethan (2) coming home to roost.
- TP rallied to tie the proceedings in the top of the fourth. With two outs and the bases loaded, Harris (12) and Leandro (10) drew respective RBI walks to bring home Adam (14) and Louis (16).
- In the top of the fifth, TP scored a pair to take a 4-2 lead. With two outs and two runners on base, Nigel (20) delivered a clutch 2 RBI double to bring Ben (4) and Quinn (13) homeward.
- The Riverdogs answer with one in the bottom of the fifth to trim the deficit to one. Jacob (3) strokes a two out RBI single to deliver Adamo (27) home.
- Going for the jugular, TP scores seven insurance runs in the top of the sixth to extend their lead to 12-3. The big hit during the frame is a RBI double by Piper (9).
- York gamely rallies for one in the bottom of the sixth to trail 12-4. TP closer Harris (12) seals the deal on the victory with one pitch.
- TP pitchers Alden (7), Ben (4), Quinn (13) and Harris (12) combine to limit the potent Riverdogs offense to four runs.
TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS 7 ANNETTE A’s 0
- In a clash of the two remaining unbeaten teams at the EBA Mosquito Select playoffs, both TP and Annette were scoreless after four taut innings at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
- With stellar authority, TP starter Aaron (18) pitched four scoreless innings against Annette while striking out six A’s.
- Annette starter Morgan (7) and reliever Seamus (22) combined to pitch four scoreless innings versus TP while fanning two.
- TP breaks the tense game open in the bottom of the fifth by scoring a pair to take a 2-0 lead. Piper (9) and Leandro (10) come home to score.
- In the top of the sixth, TP tacks on five insurance runs to stretch their advantage to 7-0. Adi (1), Nigel (20), Adam (14), Louis (16), Quinn (13) come home to roost. Harris (12) stroked a clutch RBI hit.
- TP reliever Nigel (20) pitches two scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win. In a solid effort, Nigel faces only eight Annette batters and mows down four A’s.
- Throwing caution to the wind, TP outfielder Adi (1) made a spectacular airborne catch in midair to record the final out of the game in the sixth. The entire TP dugout emptied as everyone rushed over to pile on Adi to celebrate his Gold Glove play that propelled the Mosquito Selects into the championship game.