IN A NAIL BITER, THE TP MOSQUITO SELECTS PREVAIL OVER THE BLUE HAWKS TO WIN THEIR OPENING GAME AT THE MOSQUITO SOBA PROVINCIAL FINALS IN RICHMOND HILL
Beneath picturesque summer skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Mosquito Selects edged the West Hill Blue Hawks 8-7 in five innings of play this evening at Richmond Green Diamond 3 to win their opening game at the Mosquito Select Ontario Baseball Association (SOBA) Provincial Finals in Richmond Hill.
Here are the highlights:
- Toronto Playgrounds jumped up to an early 4-0 lead with a single from Adi (1) and a double from Nigel (20).
- TP starter Adam (14) utilized a full arsenal of seventy pitches and held West Hill to no hits and only two runs on four walks.
- The Mosquito Selects score another run in the second as Aaron (18) reaches on a single and comes into score on a base hit from Ben (4).
- TP surrenders the lead in the top of the fifth as the Blue Hawks plate three to take a 7-5 lead.
- Exercising patience at the dish, Toronto Playgrounds answer back in the bottom of the fifth. Alden (7) and Ben reach base on respective singles while Jake (30) drew a walk to load the bases. A 2 RBI clutch base hit from Adi allows Alden and Ben to motor home and tie the proceedings. Nigel follows and delivers a grace under pressure RBI hit to score Jake from third and bring home TP’s winning run.
- TP starter Adam went the distance and maxed out at 70 pitches while teammates and relievers Louis (16) and Ben (4) took it the rest of the way to pick up a duo save.
- TP catcher Jake caught five solid innings behind the plate.
After winning the Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Championship, Toronto Playgrounds is the West Loop representative of the Toronto Baseball Association (TBA) at this weekend’s provincial championship.
Each of the twelve teams participating in the Labour Day weekend Mosquito SOBA Provincial Finals are working under a double knockout playoff formula, whereby a team has to lose two games in order to be eliminated. Should a team reach the final round undefeated, they will have to lose twice to be eliminated.
With their opening day victory, TP (1-0) will play their next provincial final game tomorrow (Saturday, August 30) morning at 11:30 a.m. against an opponent still to be determined at Richmond Green Diamond 3.
GO! TP! GO!