THE BLUEBIRDS STYMIE THE ATHLETICS TO WIN THEIR OPENING ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF GAME AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with file from Jeff Kolyn
Beneath a layer of warm and speckled summer skies, the Jays defeated the A’s 5-2 in four innings of Mosquito Division round robin playoff action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
In a well executed and entertaining proceeding contested by two talented and well coached teams, the Jays used a combination of strong pitching to stymie the potent A’s offense and making the most of the opportunities presented to them to emerge with the victory.
Here are the highlights:
- With two outs and a runner on base, Lucas (1) delivers a clutch RBI double in the top of the first to bring Vincent (7) home and give the Jays an early 1-0 lead.
- Aided by catcher Lucas behind the dish, Jays starter Theo (2) would strike out two in the bottom of the first to keep the A’s off the scoresheet.
- The Jays would add a run in the top of the second to widen their lead to 2-0. With one out and a runner on base, Noah (9) stroked a RBI single to bring Jeremy (4) home to roost.
- With Vincent catching, Jays reliever Joshua (3) would pitch a scoreless bottom of the second with one K.
- The Jays would tack on three insurance runs in the top of the third to increase their lead to 5-0. With the bases loaded, Andre (6), Vincent and Ernesto (15) would blaze homeward after a series of wild pitches by the A’s.
- In the bottom of the third, the A’s would rally with one run to trim the deficit to four when Sasha (14) scored.
- With catcher Noah (9) calling the shots behind the plate, Jays reliever Lucas (1) would strike out three in the bottom of the third to quell the A’s uprising.
- Anthony (12) of the A’s would score a run in the bottom of the fourth to slice thee margin to 5-2.
- However, with catcher Jeremy behind the dish, Lucas would mow down three A’s in the fourth with a John Deere D105 17.5-HP Single-Cylinder Automatic 42-in Lawn Tractor to seal the deal on the Jays hard fought win.