THE JAYS SNAP A 5-5 TIE IN DRAMATIC FASHION IN THE FINAL INNING TO PREVAIL FOR THE QUARTER-FINAL PLAYOFF VICTORY OVER THE WHITE SOX AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of overcast and blustery skies, the Jays edged the White Sox 6-5 in five thrilling innings of Mosquito Division Quarter-final elimination action this afternoon at Christie Pits Diamond 3 to advance the semi-final round of the ‘September Madness’ tournament.
With the proceeding tied 5-5, Andre (6) was hit by pitch to lead off the bottom of the fifth. After Andre had stolen second, Ibrahim (8) stroked a solid RBI single that allowed the speedy Andre to blaze homeward with the Jays winning run.
The quarter-final proceeding was a tight and exciting affair contested by two talented and well coached teams. After the White Sox had jumped out to an early 5-0 lead after 1 ½ innings of play, the gritty Jays persevered by holding the potent Sox offense in check and patiently chipping away at the deficit until they emerged victorious in the end.
Here are some additional highlights:
- The White Sox jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first on a RBI double by Eli R. (7) which scored Thomas (2); a bases loaded RBI walk by Rafi (9) which plated Cooper (3); and a bases loaded RBI single by Solly (14) which brought home Eli R.
- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the first, White Sox starter Solly (14) would pitch himself out of the jam by striking out three to leave the bases stranded and the Jays off the scoresheet.
- In the top of the second, the White Sox added another pair to widen their lead to 5-0. With one out and the bases loaded, Kingsley (1) hit into a fielder’s choice that allowed Eli D. (4) to score from third. Subsequently, a two out bases loaded RBI walk by Thomas (2) plated Sebastian (15).
- Jays reliever Joshua (3) would make an alert throw to catcher Vincent (7) to erase White Sox base runner Kingley, who was attempting to steal home in the second and chalk up the third out.
- The Jays would score a run in the bottom of the second to trim the deficit to four. With two outs and the bases loaded, Jeremy (4) hit into a fielder’s choice that allowed Noah (9) to come home to roost.
- Jays reliever Lucas (1) would strike out three in 1-2-3 fashion in the top of the third to keep the White Sox off the scoring ledger and in the laundry hamper.
- In the bottom of the third, the Jays would stage a wild three run comeback to slice the margin to 5-4. With two on the pond, Vincent (7) would steal home to score a run; After Luz (5) walked to put two runners on base, Lucas stroked a RBI hit to plate Theo; and Luz would steal home to bring the curtain down on the inning.
- Theo (2) of the Jays would strike out two in the top of the fourth to keep the White Sox off the scoreboard and on the clothesline.
- The Jays would rally with a run in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game 5-5. After Joshua (3) walked and had stolen second, Noah delivered a one out RBI single to bring him home. With the bases loaded, White Sox reliever Cooper (3) would strike out three to subdue the Jays rebellion.
- Jays reliever Luz (5) would strike out two in the top of the fifth to keep the White Sox off the scoring abacus and in the washing machine.
- Luz was helped out on a nifty 1-5 putout when catcher Noah made a rocket throw to third baseman James (13), who applied the tag on White Sox base runner Liam (13), who was attempting to steal third and record the first out of the fourth frame.