IN A NAIL BITER, THE GRITTY LIZZIES RALLY TO PREVAIL OVER THE MIGHTY GIANTS AT BICKFORD PARK
Game Summary edited with file from Steve Yacht
Beneath a ceiling of cool blue skies, the Lizzies edged the Giants 8-7 in a thrilling 3 ½ inning Peewee Division game this evening at the Bickford Park South Diamond.
Here is a Lizzies account of the proceedings:
- The Lizzies hosted the Giants in a Monday evening slugfest at Bickford Park.
- The Giants loomed large in the top of first as they scored four quick runs to take an early 4-0 lead. During the inning, Lizzies catcher Taio (8) fired a beautiful throw to second base to erase a Giants baserunner and chalk up the second out.
- Raymond (14) and Ethan (7) opened the bottom of the first with back to back hits to put two Lizzies aboard. Taio followed with 2 RBI single, before being tagged out at second. Jamie (13) followed with a walk and two stolen bases before coming home on a Giants error to cut the deficit to one. Then Jona (6) walloped a triple and came zooming homeward on an error to tie the game.
- The scoring was muted in the second with just two runs for the Giants and one for the Lizzies as the Mighty Giants took a 6-5 lead. Hits for the Lizzies came from Jaelynn (15), Zenon (9) and Nic (3), with a timely walk by Francis (12) leading to a run.
- Lizzies reliever Nick opened the top of the third by striking out the first two Giants. Second baseman Jona provided phenomenal support in the field with a spectacular shoestring diving catch for the third out and holding the Giants scoreless.
- Down 6-5, the Lizzies bats came alive yet again in the bottom of the third as Ethan and Raymond opened the frame with back to back singles to put two onboard. Subsequently, Ethan would steal home to tie the game. After Taio walked to put two ducks on the pond, Jamie followed with a grace under pressure 2 RBI double that gave the Lizzies an 8-6 lead.
- With one out in the top of the fourth, Lizzies catcher Jamie (13) gunned down a thieving Giants baserunner at second with a rocket of a throw to ring up the second out. Refusing to quietly into the night, the pesky Giants continued to put up a fight as they scored a run to pull within one. However, Lizzies closer Josh (4) brought them down to size with a blistering strikeout end the game.