DOWN 4-3, THE GRITTY M’s STORM BACK WITH A VENGEANCE TO OVERTHROW THE PESKY ROYALS AT BICKFORD PARKBeneath a genteel setting of warm and humid summer skies, the Mariners defeated the Royals 8-4 in four innings of Mosquito Division round robin tournament action this evening at the Bickford Park South Diamond.
Here are the highlights:
- The Mariners jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first. With one out, Shael (3), Malcolm (4) and Julia (8) would garner consecutive walks to load the bases. Subsequently, with two outs, James (1) and William (10) drew RBI walks to bring Shael and Malcolm home. With the bases still loaded, Julia seized her opportunity and brazenly stole home.
- Royals starter Cal (13) would induce a fly out and ring up a strike out in the first frame.
- In the bottom of the first, the Royals answered with a run to trim the deficit to two. After leading off the inning with a walk, Eli (11) would swipe his way around the horn and come home to crow.
- Mariners starter Shael (3) would strike out three in the bottom half of the first to quell the Royals insurrection.
- Royals reliever Eli (11) would strike out two in the top of the second to keep the Mariners off the scoring ledger and moored to the dock.
- Exercising patience at the dish, the Royals would rally for three in the bottom of the second to take a 4-3 lead. With the bases loaded, Simon (10), Sam (9) and Thomas (14) would garner consecutive RBI walks to bring home Jack (8), Harrison (4) and Henry (3).
- However, the Mariners would reply with three in the top of the third to retake the lead 6-4. Ernesto (7), Ezra (14) and Shael would draw consecutive walks to open the inning and load the bases. Seizing upon a Royals error, Ernesto would steal home to tie the game. Subsequently, with base runners at third and second, the Royals committed a faux pas that allowed Ezra an opportunity to steal home with the go ahead run. After Malcolm and Julia garnered walks to reload the bases, Shael pounced upon a Royals miscue to bolt homeward in grand theft fashion to score another run.
- In his Mosquito Division pitching debut, Mariners reliever Rennick (9) pitched a scoreless bottom of the third by inducing a pair of groundouts and striking out one to keep the Royals sitting in throne room.
- The M’s would tally another two insurance runs in the top of the fourth to stretch their advantage to 8-4. Sam (2) and James would get on base to lead off the inning and come around to score.
- Refusing to wave the white flag of surrender, the Royals threatened by loading the bases in the bottom of the fourth. However, M’s reliever Rennick dug deep into his reserve tank to strike out two and seal the deal on a hard fought victory over the pesky Royals.
- Rennick also received a huge 7-4 defensive putout from his Mariners teammates to chalk up the first out in the final inning.
- Kudos to M’s Coach Don Christie for showing up for the game and forsaking a stint on the DL.