THE BOMBERS PREVAIL OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS IN EBA SELECT SEASON OPENER AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of genteel Spring skies, the Bloordale Green Bombers defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects 11-7 in seven innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- Scoreless first inning. Bloordale threatened in the top of the first when they got two runners on base. However, the Bombers grounded out to end the inning.
- A scoreless second frame with strong fielding by the TP infield.
- Bloordale opened the scoring with four runs in top of third to stake themselves to an early 4-0 lead.
- TP got its first hit of season from Milo in the bottom of the third. Subsequently, this was followed by a clutch RBI single from Charlie Z. which brought Milo home with TP’s first run of the year.
- Despite a superman like diving catch from Dylan, the Bombers scored three more in the top of the fourth to extend their advantage to 7-1.
- With their backs against the wall, TP answered with a four run rally in the bottom of the fourth to trail 7-5. After Duncan led off the frame with a double, Dylan doubled him home. Arlo kept the conga line going by singling in a run. Momo celebrated his birthday by delivering him home with a double. Keith kept the party going by singling him home.
- However, Bloordale replied with a pair in the top of the fifth to widen their lead to 9-5. TP went down quietly in their bottom half of the inning.
- After the Bombers tacked on an insurance run in the top of the sixth, TP got it right back. Following a leadoff single by Duncan and Cooper getting on base, Dylan stroked a triple triple to bring home Duncan.
- Bloordale went down in 1-2-3 fashion in the top half of the seventh, with Arlo getting all three outs.
- Donning their rally caps, TP battled gamely for the comeback in the bottom of the seventh. After Keith stroked a double, Dylan followed with a single that put two ducks on the pond. Milo followed with a RBI single run to pull TP within four. But it was too little too late for the home team.
- It was a hard fought season opener for the team. The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects demonstrated great teamwork, sportsmanship and a never quit attitude.
- Dylan S went 2 for 3 at the plate with 2 RBI; Arlo had an RBI; Charlie Z. had an RBI; Momo had an RBI; Keith went 2 for 3 with an RBI; Dylan P. went 2 for 3, Milo went 2 for 3; Duncan went 2 for 2 at the dish.
The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects (0-1) hit the road next for their next EBA Select game on Tuesday, May 16 when they travel to Jeff Healey/Woodford Park to play against the Royal York Cardinals at 6:30 p.m.