IT WAS A HARD DAY’S NIGHT AS TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE SHAMROCKS IN A THRILLING NAIL BITER AT ADAMS PARK
Beneath the incandescent lights illuminating Adams Park Diamond 1 on a tranquil summer night, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects edged the Sudbury Shamrocks 14-13 tonight in a 6 ½ inning rock ’em sock ’em round robin opener at the West Hill Tournament.
Here is a brief recap of the proceeding courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- In a tense well played game, the TP Major Rookie Ball Selects won their opening game of the West Hill tournmanent 14-13 over the Sudbury Shamrocks.
- After Sudbury staked themselves to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning, the TP faithful knew wholeheartedly that this contest would be a hard fought game against a tough opponent,
- Although TP got a hit from Cooper (3) in the bottom half of the first, TP could not take advantage and went down swinging.
- The TP defence prevented the Shamrocks from dipping their hands into the pot of gold in the top of the second by shutting down Sudbury offence and keeping them off the scoring ledger.
- TP came roaring back with four in the bottom of the second to take a 4-2 lead. Following respective hits by Dylan P. (14), Troy (2) and Momo (18), Dylan S. (10) and Adam (20)cracked doubles to put TP out front.
- However, the Shamrocks came roaring back with four in the top of the third to retake the lead 6-4.
- In the bottom of the third, Sudbury shut down TP with a 1-2-3 inning.
- TP kept the pesky Shamrocks off the scoreboard in the fourth and fifth frames.
- With grit and determination, TP rallied in the bottom of the fourth to regain the lead 7-6 with hits from Dylan P., Charlie Z. (8), Troy and Charlie C. (11).
- Sudbury stormed back with four in the top of the sixth to pull ahead 10-7.
- The TP bats unleashed a seven run barrage in the bottom of the sixth that catapulted TP into a 14-10 lead. The top of the order got it done with hits from Arlo (32), Cooper, Duncan (14), Dylan P., and Charlie Z. to lead off the inning. Momo, Charlie C., Dylan S. and Adam kept the hit parade going as Tp batted through the order.
- Refusing to surrender, the Shamrocks put up a furious rally bid in the top of the seventh as they tallied three. However, their comeback fell short by a run as TP hung on for the round robin victory.
- Troy (2) was voted MVP of the game by the Shamrocks!
The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects journey at the tourney continues tomorrow (Saturday, June 24) with two more round robin games. TP will battle the West Hill Blue Hawks on Saturday morning in a 9:15 a.m. proceeding. Then TP will faceoff against the Whitby Chiefs in a 4:30 p.m. afternoon showdown. All games are at Adams Park.