WITH OUR ‘SEPTEMBER MADNESS’ PLAYOFF TOURNAMENT BEGINNING ON SEPTEMBER 5, HERE IS A PRIMER ON WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE DAYS AHEAD AS WE WIND DOWN THE 2017 SEASON IN OUR MOSQUITO, PEEWEE AND BANTAM DIVISIONS
It’s hard to believe that it’s already time for it, but our end-of-year ‘September Madness’ tournament is almost upon us. The 2017 tournament schedules for the Mosquito, Peewee and Bantam divisions have been sent out and posted on our website. Please print off a copy of the schedule and make careful note of the games that involve your child(ren).
To access a PDF copy of the tournament schedule pertaining to your division, please click on the applicable link below:
- 2017 MOSQUITO DIVISION ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
- 2017 PEEWEE DIVISION ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
- 2017 BANTAM DIVISION TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
In addition, the tournament rules sheets have also been sent out and posted. To access a PDF copy of the tournament rules pertaining to your division, please click on the corresponding link below:
- 2017 MOSQUITO DIVISION TOURNAMENT RULES
- 2017 PEEWEE DIVISION TOURNAMENT RULES
- 2017 BANTAM DIVISION TOURNAMENT RULES
Please take the time to read them and let your coach know if you have any questions. We’d also like to go over a few things.
Please note that during the tournament we’re no longer following a standard division night schedule…games can be any night and also throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday. When you receive the schedule on Wednesday please read it carefully to see when your team plays. Each mosquito, peewee and bantam team will play four round robin games – two during the week of Tuesday, September 5 to Friday, September 8, and two more round-robin games on Saturday, September 9. The elimination games in all divisions will begin on Sunday, September 10. The elimination games in the Mosquito and Peewee divisions will continue into the week of Monday, September 11.
There is a lot of baseball taking place over the first two weeks and weekend after Labour Day in September…this is so the players get the chance to play as much baseball as possible before we have to pack it all up again until next year. Although we’re keeping standings during the round-robin schedule, the emphasis during the tournament is still on having fun, building skills, and being good sports, and we ask all of you to help with this by being good role models for all of the players.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE NOTE:
- ALL games WILL start at the scheduled time, regardless of how many players are there. Defensive teams will have to start the game fielding with as many players as they have (up to 9 of course!).
- Please arrive as close to one half hour before game time as possible to allow coaches to make lineups.
- Full uniforms (house league hat, house league jersey, house league pants) are to be worn.
- Decisions regarding rain outs will be placed on the website/Twitter/hotline one hour prior to game time. If games are cancelled due to weather, the tournament will run longer than indicated on the schedule. Please note however that during the tournament we will play through light rain because of the need to get the games completed, so players and parents should dress for the weather.
Players, coaches, and umpires will receive a free lunch from the TP BBQ Zone on Saturday September 9. We will also be selling food and drinks to family and friends from the BBQ Zone on both Saturday, September 9 and Sunday, September 10 from approximately 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We require some volunteers to help run the BBQ, so if you could be available for an hour or two on either Saturday or Sunday, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We greatly appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks in advance!
We will also have our photographer at Christie Pits on September 9 and 10 taking individual pictures of players who didn’t make it out to our Photo Day Event back in June.
Updated scores, standings, pictures and other news will be available daily on the Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball website [www.tpbaseball.ca] and on Twitter [@] throughout the tournament. Remember to check the hotline (416) 392-1914 [press ‘4’] and our Twitter feed if the weather is suspect.
Finally, let’s keep our actions and our comments positive, and help the players and coaches be good sports. Thanks for your participation and on-going support of our league!
Coordinator, Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball