THE CRAWFORDS PREVAIL OVER THE LIZZIES IN THEIR OPENING ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT GAME AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath the shimmer of a majestic harvest moon, the Crawfords defeated the Lizzies 6-4 in 4 ½ innings of Bantam Division Round Robin Tournament action tonight at Dominico Field at Christie Pits.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- The Lizzies jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. Cormac (9) would come homeward with the opening run of the game.
- In the bottom of the first, the Lizzies would retire the Crawfords in 1-2-3 fashion on a pair of groundouts and a strikeout to keep them off the scoring ledger.
- Not to be outdone, the Crawfords returned the favour in the top of the second by setting the Lizzies down in 1-2-3 style on a pair of groundouts and a K.
- With the pedal to the metal, the Crawfords exploded for four runs in the bottom of the second to take a 4-1 lead. Thomas (9), Isaac (1), Leo (8) and Jasper (6) would come home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake at the Lizzies expense.
- In the top of the third, the Lizzies tallied a run to trim the deficit to two when Elliot (6) came home to roost. However, the Crawfords would quell the Lizzies rebellion with an elixir of three strikeouts.
- The Crawfords would add two more in the bottom of the third to widen their advantage to 6-2. Jordan (11) and Flynn (7) would come home and do the jitterbug.
- Refusing to surrender, the Lizzies battled back with a run in the top of the fourth to slice the margin to 6-3. Jacob (15) would heed the guidance of Lizzies Co-Head Coach Tracy Franklin and do a combo of the watusi and hustle as he made his way homeward.
- With determination, the Lizzies bullpen would mow down three in the bottom of the fourth to keep the Crawfords off the scoring ledger.
- The Lizzies would score a run in the top of the fifth to close the gap to 6-4 when Liam (13) made his way home to do the twist.
- However, the Crawfords would chalk up a pair of groundouts and a strikeout to seal the deal on the victory.