THE DEVIL RAYS EXTINGUISH A FEVERISH RANGERS COMEBACK BID TO HANG ON FOR THE SHOESTRING ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT GAME VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a layer of mild September skies, the Rays edged the Rangers 7-6 in four nail biting innings of Mosquito Division Round Robin Tournament action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a Rays recap of the proceedings courtesy of Roe Sivanandan:
- The Rangers played host to the Rays on Thursday evening in their second game of the round robin. Befitting the occasion, the atmosphere at the diamond was full of excitement and the players overlooked the light rainfall at times to stay focused on the game. The Rays fans were full of energy and cheered the team to victory.
- Once again, the Rays had all fifteen of their roster players at the game.
- In the top of the first, the Rays scored three runs to take an early 3-0 lead. The Rays offensive fireworks was keyed by a double from Henry (8) and respective singles from Alex (9) and Jake (12).
- Rays starter Jake (12) pitched a strong bottom of the first, giving up only a single run to the Rangers. Holden (8) came home to crow for the Rangers.
- In the top of the second inning, the Rays showed tremendous patience at the dish to earn walks, and manufacture runs with a couple of steals of home to score three runs to extend their lead to 6-1.
- Despite loading the bases with one out in the bottom of the second, Rays reliever Alex (9) salvaged the inning by surrendering just one run to the Rangers. Reilly (5) of the dangerous Rangers came homeward to trim the shortfall to four.
- The Rangers ace was on the mound in the top of the third as he shut down the Rays with three strikeouts, while giving up a solitary single to Nikhil (1).
- In the bottom of the third, Rays reliever Marshall (15) pitched solid frame. Nevertheless, the Rangers’ manufactured two runs thanks to some solid coaching. ). Esme (14) and Holden would come home to trim the gap to 6-4.
- In the fourth (and final) inning, Charlie Z. (5) had the only hit against the Rangers pitcher. After getting to first, Charlie Z. stole second and third base before stealing home to score the Rays lone run to extend the Rays lead to 7-6.
- However, in the bottom of the fourth inning, the Rangers came after Rays closer Liam (7) with everything they had (including the kitchen sink) to win the game. As the pesky Rangers scored two [courtesy of Oren (9) and Harrison (6)], Liam found the mojo jojo groove and slammed the door on the Rangers to register the save.