THE MIGHTY GIANTS EDGE THE SUAVE METROPOLITANS IN A NAIL BITING NIGHTCAP AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of hot and hazy skies, the Giants edged the Mets 9-8 in four thrilling innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Peewee Division action tonight at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Giants account of the proceedings courtesy of Roe Sivanandan:
- On a very warm Monday evening, the Giants hosted the Mets under the lights at Christie Pits with lots of fans in attendance in the bleachers to watch the stellar Peewee Division game.
- Giants starter Sasha (4) pitched a solid top of the first to keep the Mets to a single run.
- In the bottom of the first, Fisher (10) got a solid one out single to get the Giants started. Sasha (4) followed with a two run long ball, his first home run of the season, to give the Giants an early 2-0 lead. Following a single by Lex (12), the Mets tightened their defense with some good pitching to keep the Giants from adding to their tally.
- Giants reliever Fisher (10) threw a solid inning in the top of the second by allowing just one Mets run.
- With the game deadlocked 2-2, the Giants Alex O. (15), Kieran (2) and Jonas (1) showed great patience and concentration at the plate in the bottom of the second to earn back-to-back-to-back walks to load the bases for Nikhil (3). Nikhil put the ball in play for a fielder’s choice, earning an RBI that allowed the Giants to take a 3-2 lead. After Euan (11) earned a walk to reload the bases, Andre (8) connected on the third pitch for a bases clearing three RBI triple to stake the Mighty Giants to a 6-2 advantage.
- In the top of the third, Giants reliever Elliott (14) pitched a great inning where he surrendered only two runs to the Mets and allow the Giants to maintain a 6-4 lead.
- The Mets reliever threw a solid bottom of the third by just giving up one run to the Giants. After earning a walk and stealing second and third, Elliot scored on a Mets error to widen the Giants lead to 7-4.
- Giants closer Alex O. (15) entered the fray in the top of the fourth to stare down the Metropolitans, who were determined to make a comeback. And the pesky Mets achieved that objective with some key walks and hits to erase a three run deficit and take a 8-7 lead, before Alex O. put out the fire and closed the door on them.
- Donning their rally caps in the bottom of the fourth, Ian (9) reached first base on a solid single and Max (13) followed with a walk that put two Giants aboard. With two mallards on the pond, Alex O. stroked a RBI single to bring Ian home to tie the game at 8-8. With Max on third base representing the winning run, Kieran (2) struck out. However, Max (13) brazenly stole home on the strikeout to give the Mighty Giants a dramatic 9-8 comeback win.