TAKING NO PRISONERS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE BLACK AT RICHVIEW PARK TO EARN THEIR NINTH EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT VICTORY
Beneath a serene layer of warm summer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Martingrove Black 19-1 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select action this evening at Richview French School Park.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings courtesy of Vincent Lynch:
- Following a scoreless first inning, TP staked itself to an 8-0 lead in the top half of the second. After Nathan (29) and Ethan (12) opened the inning with back to back singles that put two ducks on the pond, Toby (30) stroked a RBI single to bring Nathan home with the opening run of the game. After a single by Qayam (11) loaded the bases, Noah (10) reached base on a fielder’s choice that retires Ethan at third. With the bases still juiced to the gills, Henry delivers a one out two RBI double that advances Noah to third and brings Toby and Qayam home to roost. With two aboard, Michael (9) hits a RBI single to plate Noah. Willy (6) follows with a RBI single to bring Henry home and give TP its fifth run. Theo (3) delivers a RBI single that brings Michael home. With two runners on base, Jamie (20) caps off the inning with a two RBI double into right field that allows Willy and Theo to come home with the bacon.
- Taking no prisoners, TP added seven to its tally in the top of the third to stretch its lead to 15-0. With two outs and the bases loaded, Willy stroked a clutch RBI single to plate Qayam. Next, with the bases juiced to overflowing, Theo delivered a two RBI single to bring Noah and Michael home. With two otters on the lake, Jamie launches a grace under pressure two RBI triple that brings Willy and Theo home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. Ben (8) follows with a RBI single to bring Jamie home. Following respective singles by Holden (25) and Nathan that reloaded the bases, Ethan ices the cake on the inning with a RBI single to allowed Ben to come home and do the jitterbug.
- TP tacked on a pair in the top portion of the fourth to widen its advantage to 17-0. After a pair of singles by Qayam and Noah to begin the inning, Michael stroked a one out RBI single to plate Qayam. Willy followed with a RBI single that allowed Noah to score.
- In the top of the fifth, TP scored a run to increase its lead to 18-0. With two runners on base, Nathan grounds into a fielder’s choice that allowed Ben to score from third.
- Martingrove scored a run in the bottom of the fifth to break the goose egg. With a runner on first, Marcus delivered a clutch two out RBI double to bring Noah home.
- TP added an insurance run in the top of the sixth to secure its lead at 19-1. After a leadoff double by Qayam, Noah delivered a RBI single to bring Qayam home.
- The victory was a dominating performance for the TP Rookie Ball Selects as they unleashed a furious 36-hit assault to bury the Black.
- Michael, Noah, Qayam, Willy, Jamie, Ethan, Theo, Ben, Henry, Nathan, Toby and Holden all had multiple hits for TP against Martingrove.
- Willy, Qayam, Noah and Michael each collected four hits to lead the TP attack.
- TP also had a solid defensive game to neutralize Martingrove’s seventeen hit effort and limit the Black offence to only one run. Jake led the Black offence with a 3 for 3 effort at the dish.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects (9-3) return home to Christie Pits Diamond 3 to play host to the Royal York Red next Tuesday (July 24) at 6:30 p.m.