FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, THE CARDINALS TAKE FLIGHT OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT CHRISTIE PITSBeneath a duvet of warm and hazy skies, the Royal York Girls defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Peewee Selects 23-1 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Peewee Select Loop action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
The lopsided proceeding was testament to a solid all around effort by the Royal York Girls, who took no prisoners in earning their ninth victory of the season. A combination of solid pitching and stellar defence by the Cardinals limited the TP offence to only two hits and one run over the course of four frames. On the offensive side of the ledger, Royal York utilized their speed on the base paths, patience at the dish and an eighteen hit fusillade to cruise to a dominating win.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- In the top half of the first, Royal York staked themselves to an early 5-0 lead. Following a leadoff double by Cailin (17), Reese (7) stroked a one out RBI single to bring Cailin home with the opening run of the game. After Reese advanced to third on a steal and TP error, Chayse (16) delivered a RBI single to bring Reese home. Subsequently, with two outs and a runner at third, Julia (27) hit a RBI single to plate Chayse. Following a walk to Alex (42) that put two swans on the lake, a TP faux pas allowed Alex to advance to second and brought Julia home with a run. After Alex stole third, Mack (48) stroked a RBI single to bring Alex home to crow.
- TP starter Dash (4) would tally a groundout and a pair of strikeouts in the first to end the Cardinals insurgency.
- With 1-2-3 efficiency, Royal York starter Emma (9) chalked up a strikeout, groundout and fly out in the bottom of the first to keep TP off the bases.
- The Cardinals sent a conga line procession of fifteen batters to the plate in the top of the second and scored ten to increase their lead to 15-0. After a leadoff single by Cailin, Emma followed with a RBI double to plate Cailin. Following a single by Reese that put two ducks on the pond, Chayse hit into a groundout that advanced Reese to third and brought Emma home. Paige (10) followed with a one out RBI double Reese home to roost. After a steal of third by Paige, Julia hit a groundout that allowed Paige to score. With two outs, the Red Birds proceeded to load the bases via a walk by Alex, single by Mack, and Andrea’s hit by pitch. A TP balk call allowed Mack and Andrea to move up base and brought Alex home with a run. After Cailin drew a walk to reload the bases, Emma drew a bases loaded RBI walk to plate Mack. With the bases still juiced to the gills, Reese delivered a clutch two RBI double that brought Andrea and Cailin home to do the watusi. With two aboard, Chayse iced the cake with a two RBI double that allowed Emma and Reese to come homeward and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- TP starter Dash would induce three groundouts in the second to extinguish the Cardinals rebellion
- In the bottom of the second, TP replied with a run to trim the margin to 15-1. After a one out walk, Simon (3) brazenly stole his way around the horn to get into scoring position at third. Following a walk to Dash that put two otters on the lake, Zach (24) stroked a RBI single to bring Simon home with TP’s lone run of the game.
- Nonplussed, Royal York starter Emma struck out three in the second to terminate the TP revolt.
- The Cardinals offensive assault continued in the top portion of the third as they added six more to their tally to widen their advantage to 21-1. After Alex reached base on a hit by pitch to open the inning, Mack and Cailin garnered walks to load the bases. With one out, Emma delivered a bases clearing three RBI double. After walks by Reese and Chayse loaded the bases, Paige and Julia would be hit by pitch in back to back fashion to force home Emma and Reese. With the bases still saturated, Alex hit into a groundout that allowed Chayse to score from third.
- TP reliever Luca (12) would tally two strikeouts and a groundout in the third to quell the Royal York insurrection.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, Cardinals reliever Mack (48) kept TP off the bases in the bottom of the third with a groundout, pop out and a fly out.
- Royal would add two insurance runs in the top of the fourth to secure their lead at 23-1. After a leadoff single by Cailin, Reese launched a RBI triple to plate Cailin. Chayse followed with a RBI single to bring Reese home with the chocolate peanut butter cups.
- TP reliever Luca would ring up a groundout and a pair of strikeouts in the fourth to douse the Cardinals revolt.
- Royal York reliever Mack would chalk up a groundout and two strikeouts in the bottom of the fourth to seal the deal on the Cardinals victory.
The TP Peewee Selects (2-11) continue their homestand at Christie Pits Diamond 2 next Wednesday (August 1) when they host the Bloordale Gold at 7:00 p.m.