WITH A 9-6 SEMI-FINAL PLAYOFF VICTORY OVER YORK, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PUNCHES A TICKET INTO THE CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL AT QUEENSWAY PARK
Tournament Summary composed with file and photos from Bill Evans
Beneath a embroidered duvet of hazy and humid midsummer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Bantam Selects defeated the York Riverdogs 9-6 in an Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Bantam Select Championship Tournament Semi-Final playoff action this morning at Queensway Park to earn a berth in the championship final at the 2018 edition of the EBA Bantam Select Championship tourney.
TP (4-0) will face the winner of the Annette A’s (2-1) and Martingrove White Sox (1-1) semi-final game in the championship final round that is scheduled to take place this afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
Here is a brief recap of TP’s journey (so far) at the 2018 EBA Bantam Select Championship Tournament:
TP 9 YORK 6
- TP prevailed 9-6 over Martingrove in a hard fought semi-final contest this morning at Queensway Park.
- Additional details to follow as it becomes available.
TP 6 ANNETTE 5
- The Saturday evening proceeding between the TP Bantam Selects and Annette was a much anticipated matchup between the two undefeated teams at the tourney.
- After the A’s had staked themselves to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first, TP replied to their opening salvo with a dramatic run in the bottom of the inning to trim the deficit to two when Piper CRUSHED a solo home run blast into the deep infield of the other diamond at Queensway Park!
- A pesky TP squad scored a pair in the bottom of the second to tie the game 3-3.
- Not to be outdone, the Athletics answered back with two in the top of the third to take a 5-3 lead.
- In the bottom of the third, TP trimmed the gap to 5-4 when Piper made a timely read on Alden’s 6-3 to score a run from second base.
- TP deadlocked the nail biting affair 5-5 in the bottom portion of the fifth frame. After Ben had stroked a leadoff single and advanced to second on a passed ball, Joseph stroked a single that moved Ben to third and put two ducks on the pond. Jake would bring Ben home with the tying run on a fielder’s choice.
- Tied 5-5 in the bottom of the sixth, TP brought home the bacon with grit and determination. Following a leadoff single and stolen base by Jona, Piper followed and CAPTAIN CRUNCHED the ball into left field. As Jona made the turn at third base and with Annette’s relay throw coming in fast, Jona slid home in head first fashion to score TP’s winning run. At this juncture, the TP dugout erupted in a rapture of celebration!
- In a nutshell, it was a fantastic effort by the entire TP Bantam Select Team.
- TP received some great defence all around the diamond to keep the potent A’s offence in check.
- TP outfielders Jona, Joseph and Alex combined to make some great catches.
- Alex had a pair of assists, with a strong throw to second base, and another relayed through Ben to third baseman Harris.
- In a strong effort, TP starter Aaron combined with relievers Alden and Jamie to strikeout nine Annette batters over the course of six innings.
- Jamie struck out the side in the top of the sixth to keep the A’s at bay.
- The entire team wishes to thank Coaches Howard and Phil for stepping up to the plate to help coach.
TP 9 MARTINGROVE 8
- Early on Saturday morning, TP held on for a 9-8 win over the pesky Martingrove White Sox to earn its second playoff victory.
- In a solid effort, TP starter Ben went the close to distance against the White Sox.
- TP reliever Jamie entered the fray in the final inning to seal the deal.
- The entire TP Bantam Select squad were happy to see good friend former TP teammate Nigel H. at Queensway Park to cheer on the team.
TP 10 BLOORDALE 3
- On Thursday evening, TP opened its journey at the EBA Bantam Select playoff tourney with a 10-3 victory over the Bloordale Bombers in five innings of play at Queensway Park.
- In a clear statement that TP meant business, Piper LAUNCHED a deep dish pizza home run blast in his first at bat.
- TP starter Harris threw a strong seventy-one pitches into the fifth to keep the Bombers in the hangar.
- Jamie entered the fray in the fifth to close out TP’s first playoff win.
Additional updates will be posted as they becomes available.
GO! TP! GO!