DOWN 9-8, THE BIG RED MACHINE RALLY IN THE FINAL INNING TO TIE UP THE EXPOS DURING A BATTLE ROYALE PEEWEE DIVISION ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF GAME AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a genteel duvet of warm summer darkness, the Expos and Reds played to a 9-9 draw in four frenetic innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The proceeding was a highly entertaining contest between two talented and well coached teams. In the end, the pesky Reds erased an 8-1 and 9-8 deficit to earn a hard fought tie with the gritty Expos.
Here are some highlights:
- The Expos staked themselves to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first. Anthony (10), Sadie (3), Ernesto (1) and Truman (8) came home to roost.
- In the bottom half of the first, the Reds replied with a run to trim the shortfall to three. Stephen (4) came home with the Big Red Machine’s first run.
Expos starter Daniel (11) tallied a groundout, strike out and line out in the first frame to subdue the Reds insurgency.
- The Expos exploded for another four in the top of the second to increase their lead to 8-1. Keying the surge was a woolly mammoth one out two RBI double by Anthony (10) that brought Stephen (14) and Jakob (5) home. After Anthony came home with a run, Daniel (11) capped off the inning with a brazen steal of home.
- Not to be outdone, the Big Red Machine stirred to life in the bottom of the second as they scored four to close the gap to 8-5. Thomas (12), Jules (1), Charlie (13) and Tyrus (11) came home to paint the town red.
- Reds reliever Alex (9) would strikeout three in the top of the third to keep the Expos at bay.
- The Big Red Machine rallied with three in the bottom of the third to tie the game 8-8. Ezra (14), Jessie (2) and Thomas came home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- Nonplussed, the Expos answered back with a run in the top portion of the fourth to take a 9-8 lead. With one out and a runner on base, Stephen delivered a RBI double that brought Simon (12) home with the go ahead run.
- Unfazed, Reds reliever Ezra (14) struck out three in the fourth to quell the Expos rebellion.
- Down to their last out, the Reds rallied in dramatic fashion in the bottom of the fourth to deadlock the proceeding 9-9. With two outs and a runner on base, Alex (9) stroked a grace under pressure RBI single to bring Ezra home with the tying run.
- Kudos to Expos shortstop Ernesto for a heads up defensive gem in the fourth inning. With no outs and a Reds baserunner on second, Ernesto battled the darkness to catch an eight mile high pop up to tally the first out. Noticing that the Reds baserunner had strayed off the base, Ernesto quickly stepped on second base to complete the unassisted double play.