TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TAME THE WOLVERINES AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN THEIR FOURTH EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Game Post composed with file from Dora Parks and Paul Ungerman
Beneath a fazerdaze ceiling of sunny and cloudy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Mosquito Selects defeated the Weston Wolverines 12-2 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop play this afternoon at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
The Saturday contest (which was a makeup game for a game that was rained out on May 19) was an entertaining game between two talented teams. In the end, TP played a solid all around game to lead this affair wire to wire.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- TP starter Julian (20) struck out a pair in the top of the first to keep Weston off the scoring abacus.
- In the bottom half of the first, TP staked itself to an early 6-0 lead. After William (33), Sean (13) and Aron (14) garnered consecutive walks to open the inning and load the bases, Rocco (99) stroked a RBI single to bring William home with the first run of the game.
- With the bases still juiced to the gills, Dylan (10) drew a bases loaded RBI walk to force Sean home. A subsequent passed ball allowed Aron to motor home from third base with a run.
- After a walk by Milo (27) reloaded the bases, Charlie (8) hit into a fielder’s choice that erased Milo at second, advanced Dylan to third, and brought Rocco homeward.
- With one out and capybaras on third and second, Cooper (3) hit into a 4-3 groundout that moved Charlie to third and brought Dylan home to crow.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, TP starter Julian tallied a strikeout and a pair of groundouts in the top of the second to keep the Wolverines off the scoring ledger.
- TP added a pair in the bottom of the second to extend its advantage to 8-0. Following a leadoff single by Julian and a walk by William that put two seals on the pond, Aron hit into 4-3 groundout that advanced William to third and brought Julian home with the H. Salt Fish and Chips. A subsequent two out wild pitch allowed William to scamper home with a Mark McEwan Bymark Burger.
- In the top of the third, TP reliever Aron extricated himself from a Mojo Jojo bases loaded jam by striking out two to keep the Wolverines off the scoreboard.
- Following a scoreless third frame, Weston clawed back with a pair in the top of the fourth to trim the shortfall to six. With the bases loaded, Justin (3) drew a RBI walk to bring Tommy (14) home with the Wolverines first run. With the bases still overflowing, Evan (84) delivered a RBI single to bring Avis (86) home to roost.
- Shaken, but not stirred, TP reliever Aron found the groove as he chalked up a pop out and two strikeouts to subdue the Weston rebellion in the fourth inning.
- Toronto Playgrounds tallied four insurance runs in the bottom of the fourth to salt the game away. After Momo (18) and Julian garnered back to back walks that put two mallards on the lake to open the inning, William launched a two RBI double to bring them home. With one aboard, Sean delivered a RBI single to plate William. Following a single by Aron and a walk by Rocco that loaded the bases, Dylan hit into a 4-3 groundout that allowed Sean to bring home the Triple Hickory Bacon.
The TP Major Mosquito Selects (4-0) journey to Millwood Park on Sunday (June 16) evening for their next EBA Mosquito Select Loop game versus the Bloordale Bombers at 6:00 p.m.