TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TAME THE RIVERDOGS AT SMYTHE PARK TO EARN THEIR SIXTH EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Game Post composed with file from Dora Parks and Paul Ungerman
Under a canopy of warm and tranquil summer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Mosquito Selects defeated the York Riverdogs 12-5 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop play this evening at Smythe Park.
In a total team effort, TP used a sixteen hit attack to reign in the Riverdogs.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- TP jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. After hitting a leadoff single, Aron (14) swiped his way around the horn to third base and came home with the opening run of the game after Julian (20) reached base on a dropped third strike.
- In the bottom half of the first, York answered back with a pair to take a 2-1 lead. After a leadoff single by Christian, Josiah drew a walk that put aboard. Subsequently, with runners at third and second, Christian brazenly stole home to score the tying run. After Josiah advanced to third on a TP error, Riley stroked a RBI single to bring him home with the go ahead run.
- With the help of a double play from his defence, TP starter William (33) rang up a strikeout in the first to kibosh the Riverdogs insurgency.
- Nonplussed, TP struck back with three runs in the top of the second to retake the lead 4-2. After back to back singles by Milo (27) and Cooper (3) to open the inning, Charlie reached base on a one out error that advanced Cooper to third and brought Milo home with the tying run.
- Subsequently, with runners at third and second, Aron stroked a clutch two out two RBI single to bring Cooper and Charlie home with TP’s go ahead runs.
- TP starter William rings up a groundout and two strikeouts in the second frame to keep the York off the scoresheet and in the dawg pound.
- Toronto Playgrounds added three to their tally in the top portion of the third to stretch their advantage to 7-2. After reaching base on a dropped third strike to begin the inning, Dylan (10) advanced to third on a passed ball and a stolen base. Sean (13) strokes a one out RBI single to bring Dylan home.
- With a runner on second, Milo delivered a RBI single that allowed Sean to motor home with a run. Subsequently, with two outs and a runner at third, William hits a RBI single to centre field to plate Milo.
- Refusing to surrender, York answered back with a pair in the top of the third to trim the gap to 7-4. After stroking a two out single, Riley swiped his way into scoring position at third. Alex followed with a RBI hit to bring Riley home. Subsequently, after reaching third on an error and passed ball, Alex bolted to score a run on a TP faux pas.
- Shaken, but not stirred, TP reliever Rocco (99) chalked up a groundout and two strikeouts in the third to subdue the Riverdogs rebellion.
- TP answered back with three in the top of the fourth to recalibrate their lead to 10-4. With one out, Aron hit a majestic solo home run blast that electrified the Cracker Jack fans in the bleacher seats.
- Following a single by Julian, Dylan hammered a RBI double to centrefield to bring him home. Subsequently, with two outs and a runner at third, Sean delivered a RBI single to plate Dylan.
- After York went down quietly in the bottom of the fourth, TP added a pair of insurance runs in the top half of the fifth to top up their lead at 12-4. Following a leadoff single and stolen base by Cooper, William stroked a RBI hit to bring him home.
- Following a single by Charlie and a walk by Aron that loaded the bases, Julian grounded into a fielder’s choice that erased Charlie at third, moved Aron to second, and brought William home with a run.
- York replied with a run in the bottom portion of the fifth to trim the shortfall to seven. With two outs and two ducks on the pond, Alex stroked a RBI single to bring Josiah home.
- TP reliever Julian rings up a pair of strikeouts and a groundout in the fifth to terminate the Riverdogs uprising.
- In the bottom of the sixth, TP reliever Julian tallied a pair of groundouts and a strikeout to bring the curtain down on the 12-5 win.