IN A PITCHING DUEL AT THE CHRISTIE PITS O.K. CORRAL, THE CARDS AND METROPOLITANS PLAY TO A DRAW
Game Post composed with files from Matt Byrnes and Alan Davidson
Beneath warm and sunny skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Cardinals and Mets battled to a 5-5 tie in 4 innings of Mosquito Division action.
In an incredibly well pitched game, the Cards and Metropolitans matched each other all the way. In the first inning, both teams scored three runs. And both squads scored a run respectively in the second and third innings.
The closers [Matthew (1) of the Mets and Jonathan (4) of the Cards] for both teams closed it out in the fourth by throwing a shut-out inning.
Here are the highlights:
- Cardinals catcher Ethan (5) made a great play behind the dish by catching a sky high pop-up behind the plate. Ethan also went 2 for 2 at the plate and scored two runs.
- Thomas (14) of the Cardinals battled the sun to catch a pop at shortstop.
- The Cardinals bullpen of Charles (8), Solomon (11), Zenon (10), and Jonathan (4) all combined to allow only five runs over four innings.
- The Mets got great pitching from Aaron (9) and Nigel (5) (with two strong innings).
- Making his Mosquito Division pitching debut, Matthew (1) of closed out the game in the bottom of the fourth by keeping the potent Cards offense off the scoreboard.
- Matthew, Nigel, and Dario all had strong hits into the outfield for the Mets. Matthew, Nigel, Aaron, and Isaac (15) also scored runs for the stylish Metropolitans.