IN THEIR OPENING GAME AT THE 2014 EBA PEEWEE SELECT CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF TOURNAMENT, A VALIANT TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS RALLY IN THE FINAL INNING FALLS SHORT AS THE WOLVERINES TO HANG ON FOR THE VICTORY
Game Post composed with file from Paul Renton.
Beneath the lights on a mid summer’s night, the Weston Wolverines edged our Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects 6-5 in a taut five inning affair this evening at Millwood Park in their opening game at the 2014 Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Peewee Select Championship Playoff Tournament.
Here are the highlights:
- Weston jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
- TP starter Owen (5) kept the Wolverines off the scoresheet in the top of the second.
- TP played some good defense in the second frame with catcher Sasha (28) picking off a wayfaring Weston baserunner at second base the big highlight.
- Jacob (2) delivered a clutch 2 RBI single to trim the TP deficit to one.
- The Wolverines tack on two runs in the top of the third to widen their lead to 5-2.
- TP reliever Jack H. (27) holds Weston to one run in the top of the fourth while striking out one.
- Jack H. keeps the Wolverines at bay by throwing a scoreless inning in the top of the fifth.
- The Major Peewees rally for three in the bottom of the fifth to slice the margin to 6-5. Fueling the rally attempt was a RBI single from Jacob; a triple by Zach (32); and a Jack H. RBI hit.
With the loss, TP will play the Bloordale 2 Bombers in their next playoff elimination game tomorrow (Saturday, August 9) morning at Millwood Park at 9:00 a.m.
Each of the nine teams participating in this season’s EBA Peewee Select Championship Tournament are working under a double knockout playoff formula, whereby a team has to lose two games in order to be eliminated. Should a team reach the final round undefeated, they will have to lose twice to be eliminated.