THE GRITTY LIZZIES AND PESKY WHITE SOX PLAY TO A DRAW AT TRINITY-BELLWOODS PARK
Game Summary edited with files from Steve Yacht and Marc Rose
Beneath a thick layer of hot and humid skies, the Lizzies and White Sox played to an 8-8 deadlock in three Hotter than July innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Trinity-Bellwoods Park Diamond 2.
Here is a Lizzies account of the proceedings:
- The Lizzies hosted the White Sox this week at Trinity-Bellwoods Park.
- Lizzies starter Jeremy (3) took the mound in the top of the first to begin the game and struck out the first White Sox batter that he faced. Mason (4) made a great play on a grounder to second, preventing a White Sox run and Jeremy caught an infield bloop for an out. However, the White Sox managed four runs and took an early 4-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the first, the Lizzies fought back hard with Owen (15) taking a walk and stealing two bases to start the inning. After Kaden (9) laid down a RBI bunt and Arman (1) walked, Dash (8) blasted an RBI double. Thomas (7) followed and knocked out an RBI single to tie the game at four.
- Lizzies reliever Dash struck out the first two White Sox batters that he faced in the top of the second. However, the Sox came back with three runs to take a 7-4 advantage.
- In the bottom of the second inning, KJ (2) walked and then stole second, third and home for the Lizzies’ only run of the inning.
- Lizzies reliever KJ showed off his wicked four seamer for two strikeouts and picking up a grounder and tossing it to Thomas for the final out at first. The Lizzies surrendered only one run during the frame to trail 8-5
- The Lizzies needed four for the win in the bottom of the third. After Arman walked and Jeremy’s grounder advanced him to second, Dash smashed a home run that brought in three runs to tie the game.
- No other runs were scored and the final score was 8-8. It was the Lizzies first tie of the season.
Here is a White Sox log of the game:
- The White Sox got on the scoreboard early with four runs in the top of the first after an infield single by Jonathan (10), and walks by Anthony (9), Sam (7), Joaquin (11), and Daniella (13).
- However, the Lizzies tied it up in the bottom portion of the first.
- In the top of the second, the White Sox scored another three to take a 7-4 lead via walks and aggressive baserunning by Sam, Joaquin, Daniella, and Anthony, and another single by Jonathan.
- White Sox reliever Christian (3) struck out one batter in the bottom of the second and held the Lizzies to one run.
- Joaquin walked and scored in the top of the thirrd to increase the White Sox’s lead to 8-5.
- With White Sox reliever Joaquin pitching in the bottom of the third, the Lizzies tied it up after putting runners on first and third with one out.
- In a spectacular end to the game, Joaquin got the next batter to pop up, and after catching the pop-up Joaquin threw to first to catch the Lizzies baserunner off the bag to complete a White-Sox double play.
- The final score was 8-8 after 3 innings.