TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS, THE EXPOS TAKE DOWN THE METROPOLITANS IN THEIR OPENING ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT GAME AT CHRISTIE PITSBeneath the sombre glow of a September harvest moon, the Expos defeated the Mets 10-3 in four innings of Peewee Division Round Robin Tournament action tonight at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- Expos starter Evan S. (11) rung up two strikeouts and a fly out in the top of the first to keep the Mets off the scoresheet.
- Kudos to Expos right fielder Anders (9) for making a nice fly ball catch to rob Jude (3) of the Mets of a hit and tally the second out in the first inning.
- Taking advantage of four walks, the Expos staked themselves to an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first…a lead that they would not surrender. Following a pair of walks by Andrew A. (2) and Evan S. to open the frame, Ben (4) delivered a two RBI single to bring them home. After Anders was hit by pitch and Alex L. (10) drew a walk to load the bases, Ewan B. (12) drew a RBI walk to plate Ben. Elliot (13) followed with a bases loaded groundout to bring home Anders.
- In the top of the second, Expos reliever Alex L. (10) struck out three to keep the Metropolitans off the scoring ledger.
- Mets reliever Dante (12) would strikeout two in the bottom of the second to keep the Expos off the scoreboard.
- Kudos to Mets shortstop Ernesto (5) for catching a scorching liner off the bat of Cooper (1) of the Expos in the second frame to record the first out.
- The Mets would score a run in the top of the third to trim the shortfall to three. After being hit by pitch, Miles (13) advanced to second via a stolen base and came home to roost with some alert base running on a groundout by Dante.
- Expos reliever Ben (4) would strikeout a pair in the third to quell the Mets insurgency.
- In the bottom of the third, the Expos would strike back with four to extend their lead to 8-1. Following a pair of walks by Andrew A. and Evan S. to open the inning, Ben delivered a groundout that allowed Andrew A. to come home to crow. With one out, Anders would be hit by pitch (again) and Alex L. garnered a walk to load the bases. Ewan B. would follow with a RBI walk to plate Evan S. With the bases still juiced to the gills, Elliott (13) powered a two RBI double to bring Ben and Anders homeward.
- Refusing to surrender, the Mets gamely battled back with a pair in the top of the fourth to trim the margin to 8-3. After leading off the frame with a walk, Jude swiped a pair to reach third. Following a walk and stolen base by Lennox (9), the Expos uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Lennox to advance to third and Jude to come home and do the hippy, hippy, shake. Subsequently, Lucky (7) stroked a two out RBI double to bring Lennox home.
- Expos reliever Daniel would chalk up two strikeouts and a groundout in the fourth to extinguish the Mets comeback bid.
- The Expos would tack on two insurance runs in the bottom of the fourth to widen their lead to 10-3. After consecutive one out walks by Cooper, James (6) and Bailey (8) that loaded the bases, Daniel hit into a groundout that brought Cooper home from third. A subsequent wild pitch by the Mets opened the portal for James to come homeward.
- Mets reliever Jude (3) would strikeout a pair and induce a groundout to end the Expos rebellion.