FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS DEFUSE THE BOMBERS AT MILLWOOD PARK TO EARN THEIR FIRST EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Game Summary courtesy of Dora Yeoh and John Zilcosky
Beneath a delicate blanket of cool and sunny skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Mosquito Selects defeated the Bloordale Bombers 20-6 this afternoon at Millwood Park to earn their first Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select Loop victory of the season.
Here is a brief summary of the proceedings
- It was a beautiful and sunny, albeit cool, afternoon for the Bloordale to play host to TP at Millwood Park Diamond 2.
- TP got things moving quickly in the top of the first. After both Momo (18) and William (33) drew respective walks that put two ducks on the pond, Momo utilized his grand thievery to steal second and third. Cooper (3) followed with a single that advanced William and cashed in Momo with TP’s first run of the game. After Charlie (8) drew a walk that put two aboard, Dylan S. (10) delivered a 2 RBI single that scored William and Cooper. Subsequently, the Bombers uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Charlie to come homeward and give TP a 4-0 lead.
- The score remained status quo until TP struck again in the top portion of the fourth when Milo (27), Cody (11) and Dylan P. (9) scored runs to widen the lead to 7-0.
- In the bottom half of the fourth, the Bloordale bats surged to life as they scored four runs to trim the shortfall to 7-4. The Bombers big inning was powered by a single from Max and a double by Jake.
- However, TP scored eleven runs in the sixth frame to pull away. The inning saw great patience at the dish by the potent TP batting order and this resulted in Adam (20) drawing a walk to load the bases. The TP offensive fireworks was sparked by Cooper, Charlie, Dylan S., Jiri (15), Dylan P., and Momo, who each had RBIs during the inning. The entire team scored runs in the sixth.
- TP starter Charlie toed the rubber as he went two stellar innings, allowing no runs, three hits, no walks, while striking out four Bombers.
- TP relievers Dylan S. and Jiri combined to pitch some solid innings against Bloordale.
- Firing on all pistons, TP racked up a sizzling fifteen hits against the Bombers. Dylan, Momo, Charlie, Cooper, and William racked up multiple hits for TP. Momo and Dylan collected three hits to lead TP offence.
- Meanwhile, TP baserunners combined to steal a hot tamale fifteen bases during the game. Six TP players stole more than one.
- In a postgame media scrum, TP Minor Mosquito Select Assistant Coach John Zilcosky was pleased with the team’s first victory of the 2018 season: “It was a great game for the TP boys. Brilliant pitching and an opportunistic offence. They also just had lots of fun on a sunny Mother’s Day at Millwood Park.”
After a two game road trip to open the 2018 EBA Mosquito Select Loop season, the TP Minor Mosquito Selects (1-1) return home to the friendly confines of Christie Pits Diamond 2 on Sunday, May 20 to host Bloordale in a rematch against the Bombers at 6:00 p.m.