IN A NAIL BITER, THE WHITE SOX FEND OFF A LATE RALLY BY THE BRONX BOMBERS TO EARN THEIR FIRST MOSQUITO DIVISION ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF GAME VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a picturesque blanket of warm summer skies, the White Sox edged the Yankees 3-2 in four nail biting innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Mosquito Division round robin playoff action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The proceeding was a crisp, entertaining and well played contest between two talented and well coached teams. Pitching and defence dominated the game in a low scoring affair where runs came at a premium. In the end, the gritty White Sox prevailed for the slender tenderloin victory after staking themselves to an early 3-0 lead and diffusing a late rally bid by the pesky Yankees in the final inning.
Here are some highlights:
- In the top half of the first, the White Sox jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. With one out and a runner on third, Milo (4) delivered a RBI single to bring Jamie (2) home with the first run of the game. After Milo stole his way around the horn to third base, Darwin (5) stroked a clutch two out RBI hit to plate Milo. Subsequently, with a runner on second, Gavin (6) delivered a RBI double to bring Darwin home with the bacon.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, White Sox starter Finn (9) struck out three in the bottom of the first to keep the Yankees off the bases.
With 1-2-3 finesse, Yankees starter Cooper (3) tallied a groundout and a pair of strikeouts in the top of the second frame to keep the White Sox in the laundry hamper. In his two innings on the hill, Cooper mowed down four White Sox batters with a total of 4 K’s.
- White Sox reliever Milo (4) chalked up a pair of groundouts in the bottom of the second to keep the Bronx Bombers off the scoring ledger.
- Milo also received a big defensive gem from his friends during the inning. With two outs, White Sox catcher Gavin and third baseman Thomas (15) combined on a sweet 2-5 putout play that thwarted Yankees baserunner Momo from stealing third base.
- Yankees reliever Momo (6) struck out three in the top portion of the third to keep the White Sox off the scoreboard and in the washing machine.
- In the bottom of the third, White Sox reliever Jamie (2) rung up a groundout and two strikeouts to keep the Yanks off the scoresheet.
- Yankees reliever Momo struck out a pair in the top half of the fourth to keep the White Sox off the scoring abacus and in the rinse cycle.
- Donning their rally caps, the Yankees rallied for a pair in the bottom of the fourth to trim the margin to 3-2. With one out and a runner on base, Cooper launched a RBI double down the first baseline that allowed Tashi (8) to come home with the Yanks first run. After Cooper advanced to third, Jacob (12) delivered a groundout that allowed Cooper to come home to roost.
- Shaken, but not stirred, White Sox closer Gavin (6) found the groove as he chalked up two strikeouts and a groundout to seal the deal on a hard fought win.