TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS GAVE IT THEIR ALL AGAINST A TOUGH WHITE SOX SQUAD AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath overcast skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, Martingrove defeated our TP Mosquito Selects 12-2 in four innings of EBA West Select Loop action.
Facing one of the West Loop’s premier teams, a gritty Toronto Playgrounds squad gave it their all in effort and determination from start to finish.
However, the TP offense could not find its rhythm against the stellar pitching of Martingrove starter James (19). James baffled the Mosquito Selects over the course of 3 2/3 innings where he allowed only two runs (none earned) while striking out eight (3.2 IP, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 W, 8 K’s).
Meanwhile, the White Sox made the most of their opportunities and patiently built an 8-0 lead through three innings before the TP offense was able to respond.
Here are the highlights:
- TP starting pitcher Alden (7) pitched a workmanlike 2 1/3 innings as he faced eighteen White Sox batters. Alden extricated himself and the team from a tough first inning by striking out the last two White Sox batters. With some good defense, Alden allowed only one Martingrove run in the second inning.
- With one out and Martingrove baserunners at third and second in the second inning, Alden fielded a ball off the bat of Martingrove batter Julian (13) near the mound and made an alert decision to throw home to TP catcher Louis (16), who quickly applied the tag on a sliding Tristen (22) of the White Sox to record the second out in a chitty chitty bang bang play at the plate.
- Shortstop Oly (6) made a nice shoestring catch off of the bat of James (19) of the White Sox in the second to record the third out of the inning.
- Piper (13) delivered a clutch two out RBI hit in the third inning to bring Solomon (1) home with TP’s first run of the game.
- TP reliever Aaron (23) pitched an honourable call of duty 1 2/3 innings of relief in facing sixteen Martingrove batters.
- After Oly had led off the bottom of the fourth with a single, he proceeded to steal two bases to reach third. When the White Sox catcher made an error by overthrowing the ball back to his pitcher, Oly alertly dashed home like a roadrunner and slid in safely with the Mosquito Selects second run of the game.
The Mosquito Selects (2-3) hit the road for their next game as they travel to Rotary Park to play Royal York 1 on Sunday, June 9 at 6:00 p.m.