THE DARLIN’ CUBBIES FEND OFF A TENACIOUS RED MACHINE COMEBACK ATTEMPT IN THE FINAL INNING TO HANG ON FOR THE HONEYED VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Report composed with files from Jenny Foster and Bob Garden
Beneath hazy and humid skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Cubs prevailed over the Reds 11-8 in a 3 ½ inning Mosquito Division barnburner.
Utilizing a combination of strong pitching and opportune offense, the Cubbies had dominated the proceedings by building an 11-1 lead through three innings of play.
However, the Reds refused to wave the white flag of surrender as the offense surged to life with great passion in the top of the fourth and rallied for seven runs to trim the deficit to three.
In the end, the Red Machine comeback fell short as the Cubs bullpen finally quelled the uprising for the victory.
Here are the highlights:
- Cubs starter Daniel (13) pitched a scoreless first inning with three strikeouts.
- Cubs reliever Adi (1) pitched a scoreless second inning with three K’s.
- Cubs reliever Julia (3) threw a one run third inning with two strikeouts
- Cauthen of the Cubs made a nice catch on a Reds infield line drive for third out.
- Molly of the Cubs hit a 2 RBI single in second, a 2 RBI triple in the third for a four RBI game at the plate.
- Sebastian (9) sparked the Reds tenacious seven run rally in the top of the fourth with a two run triple.