THE O’s EDGE THE GO GO LIZZIES UNDER THE LIGHTS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with files from Gordon Belray and Malcolm Johnston
On a sombre summer evening under the lights at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Orioles edged the Lizzies in a nailbiting three inning Peewee Division showdown.
Here are the highlights:
- A standout performance from Brian “B-Sizzle”, who made a spectacular running catch in CF on a hotshot from a power-hitting Lizzie. B-Sizzle also scored twice for the Orioles, with a walk, a double and a triple.
- Joseph “Diamond Cutter” made his pitching debut and recorded a jaw-dropping three strikeouts.
- In the second, a Lizzie hit a powerful line drive between the 3B-SS gap but third baseman Elena “Snipes” had different ideas: she leapt to her left and snared the ball for the out. A highly athletic play that had the fans standing and applauding.
- Simon “Cheese” walked, hit two singles and scored once.
- Jamie pitched a rock solid third (and final) inning. With the score at 8-7, two out and a Lizzie runner on third, he buckled down and struck out the final batter for the save.
Bonus Lizzies Game Post by Gordon Belray
A traditional Peewee Division rivalry continued in a long gritty game under a sultry still night at Christie Pits (coming off the 80th anniversary of its infamous riot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Pits_riot), as the Lizzies dropped a tough one 8-7 to the visiting Orioles in three innings.
Lizzies starter Clay (1) pitched himself out of a one out bases loaded jam catching a high infield pop-up, called strikeout and finishing with an easy come backer to the mound.
In their bottom of the first, the Lizzies cashed in three with an RBI single by Jack (7) and two runs coming in with alert base running by Cormac (4) and John (6) on passed balls. Jack was robbed of a sure double by a fleet footed and sure handed Brian (12) of the O’s, definitely one for the highlight reel.
In the top of the second, the Orioles go up 1 as Clay struggled with his control giving up four runs, but the Lizzies rallied in their half by scoring two on Jack’s deep double and third RBI of the night. As the Oriole pitching settled down, they extricated themselves from the inning with three strikeouts.
After two strikeouts, the Orioles patience caught up to Lizzies reliever Cormac’s off speed junk as he surrendered four runs on four hits.
The never say die Lizzies clawed back in the bottom of the last inning, but were thwarted by another great infield diving catch by Oriole third baseman on a screamer by Clay. John’s double scored Andreas who reached on a walk, but Cormac was nailed at the plate by an outstanding throw and tag at the plate. Jack cashed in one more but was left stranded at third on a Lizzies strikeout to end the game.