TIED 7-7, THE CARDS SCORE TWO IN THE FINAL INNING TO WIN THEIR OPENING ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT GAME OVER THE ARTFUL DODGERS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under a layer of sunny and cloudy skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Cardinals prevailed 9-7 over the Dodgers in four riveting innings of Mosquito Division round robin tournament action.
In a titanic rock ’em sock ’em showdown between two talented squads, the Cardinals emerged victorious in the fourth inning when they scored two runs to break a 7-7 deadlock.
After a one out single by Jake (2), Alex (6) stroked a RBI double to bring Jake home with the go ahead run. Subsequently, Alex was able to steal home and score an insurance run for the Cardinals.
With some solid defensive play from his teammates, Cardinals closer Jonathan (4) sealed the deal in the bottom of the fourth with a 1-2-3 inning.
Here are the highlights:
- In the top of the first, the Cardinals jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. With one out, Solomon (11) delivered a two RBI single to bring home Ethan (5) and Charles (8). Subsequently, Jake (2) would deliver a RBI single to score Solomon.
- The Dodgers countered with three runs in the bottom of the first to even the proceedings. After a lead off double and stolen base by Jacob (7), Kaden (13) delivered Jacob home with a RBI sacrifice. With one out and Dodgers at third and first, Jian (4) successfully stole home. With two outs and the bases loaded, Tango (5) garnered an RBI when he was hit by a pitch which allowed Simon (14) to saunter home with the artful Dodgers third run.
- Like a prized fighter, the Cards answered back with three in the top of the second to retake the lead 6-3. With two runners on base, Jonathan (4) delivered a RBI single to score Alex (6). Subsequently, with no outs and the bases loaded, Liam (15) earned a RBI walk to bring home Thomas (14). Jeremy (7) followed with a RBI single to plate Jonathan.
- In the bottom of the second, the Dodgers stormed back with three runs to tie the match 6-6. After a lead off single by Gen (10), Jacob powered a RBI triple to the deep dish pizza regions of the outfield to score Gen. Kaden followed with a RBI double to bring home Jacob. Jian stroked a RBI single to deliver Kaden home.
- The Cards punched across a run in the top of the third to retake the lead 7-6. With one out and a base runner at third, Charles delivered a RBI sacrifice hit to score Francis (13).
- Dodgers reliever Jian limited the potent Cardinals offense to a run in the third. Jian also picked off a Cardinals base runner at third during the inning to help his cause.
- The Dodgers fought back with a run in the bottom of the third to tie the game 7-7. With the bases loaded, Olivia (6) garnered a RBI when she hit into a fielder’s choice and brought Simon home with the tying run.
- With one out and Dodgers at second and first, the Cards turned in a BIG double play in the third to extricate themselves from a sticky wicket.
- With two outs in the bottom of the fourth, Cardinals catcher Ethan made a laser throw to shortstop Alex, who adroitly applied the tag on a Dodgers base runner who was stealing second to record the final out of the game.
The Cardinals (1-0) will host the Mets (1-0) in their next round robin tournament game at Christie Pits Diamond 3 on Thursday, September 5 at 5:45 p.m. The Dodgers (0-1) will face the Lizzies (0-1) in their next round robin game on Thursday, September 5 at Christie Pits Diamond 2 at 5:45 p.m.